What's new
What's new

Barrel Threading for a Silencer

mhidpa

Plastic
I recently got a Savage MKII TR and I am going to thread it for my Silencerco Sparrow. I have a Ruger 22/45 that I threaded by using a 4 jaw chuck and a brass rod in the bore.

My question is: Is it ok to thread the Savage barrel between centers? I know that barrel bores aren't "straight" but turning between centers is by definition concentric. I don't have an outboard spider to hold the barrel and indicate in the 4 jaw like the Ruger

Finally, has anybody removed a Savage .22 barrel? It looks like all that is needed it to drift out a pin and a roll pin and then take the barrel out of the reciever.

Between centers will work fine.

Cross pin and some models have the front action screw/standoff going into barrel.. Barrel should be a light press fit in receiver..

Unless you have a very small bore spindle or very long bore spindle you shouldnt need to pull the barrel. I didnt on mine anyway, the reciever is small enough to fit in the spindle.

Unless you have a very small bore spindle or very long bore spindle you shouldnt need to pull the barrel. I didnt on mine anyway, the reciever is small enough to fit in the spindle.

I would say that the barrel/reciever would fit in the spindle bore, but I don't have any means of outboard support, i.e. spider. This is on a lathe at my school.

Back