What's new
What's new

a little ot hangun purchase?

shoprat

Aluminum
got a ? about the waiting period.son just went through it and it took p.d. dept.
14 days before they signed off background was complete after 4days,he called them
at 5 days like he was told to.i filed mine today and was told to call in 5 days to see if it
is ready to be picked up.

my question is how long can they keep you waiting if your backgroung check is ok?
my son was told by the gunshop he bought it from that legally they have to grant it
w/in 7days if you check out. just wondering what my rights are thanks

I thought long waits on handgun purchases were ruled unconstitutional a long time ago? I've never actually walked into a gun shop and bought a handgun new, but I've both purchased from a dealer at a gun show, and had a few transferred through an FFL with a storefront (of which one recent one was brand new), and each time you fill out the form, they make a call, read off all the info over the phone for the instant background check, and you walk away with your purchase. Perhaps it is something to do with your state? Your gun shop should (really should) have a handle on any applicable laws. Why can't they give you a detailed answer to your question?

In South Dakota you can just walk right out with your pistol.

I told my youngest son to get his SD CCW permit before I let him borrow a pistol. Even that is a paper temporary until the state laminated one comes. Might be easier here, we are in a rural county and the Sheriff knows us both.

I can not speak for Minnesota now,but I thought the MN CCW was a political thing, may be better now that you must take a class and prove you and hit a target.

Boy am I glad I don't live in Minnesota, although the pay was good when I lived there.

Thanks,
Paul

Just doing a quick search in MN gun laws I keep finding things saying:

"Is there a State waiting period?

Up to 7-day wait to acquire permit to purchase a handgun."

Of course, we all know everything on the interweb is 100% fact checked / error free before being published, but that sounds like your issue. Never heard of the need for a permit in order to then make a purchase. I don't know the climate of gun politics in MN, but it sounds a lot like a reluctant compliance thing on the part of your government.

the way it is here is that you have to get the forms from your local p.d
submit forms to p.d. and they do a background check then the police cheif signs it and now i can go and purchase a handgun,but its only supposed to take 5-7 days for the
pd to sign off. each city can handle it however they see fit,some will mail the apprvoved
form,mine wont. i think it is a reluctance to comply and thats why they took so long to sign my sons because it sat on the cheifs desk for about a week. not right so thats what i
was wondering about. minnesota is the state where nothing is alowed!

yes the chief has 7 days to make up his mind.

624.7131 TRANSFEREE PERMIT; PENALTY.
Subd. 5.Granting of permits.The chief of police or sheriff shall issue a transferee permit or deny the application within seven days of application for the permit. The chief of police or sheriff shall provide an applicant with written notification of a denial and the specific reason for the denial. The permits and their renewal shall be granted free of charge.

but the solution in my state, and probably yours, is to go to court for an order of madamus compelling the chief to do what he is enjoined to do. that's 10's of thousands of dollars. you may have a remedy short of that in MN, but if you do, I am not familiar with it.

if the chief is appointed, complain to whoever appointed him.

your best place to start is a MN gun owners website, they will likely be up on those things.

Were you applying for the purchase permit thing??? Most gun shops around here are weird anyway. Most won't sell to you if you don't have the purchase permit which is wrong. All that does is allow you to skirt the 5-7 day waiting period. Walk in, NICS check, walk out. The purchase permit is good for 3 yrs or 1, I forget ???
Good luck if your sheriff is a dick
Dave

What's the rush? Either your son starts shooting things in a few days or a few weeks. Or does he have an immediate need for a hand gun right away?

MN has a 7 day waiting period. I went to my local police cheif and applied for a Permit to Aquire. It took a few days and the cheif has to sign off on it. You get a card and it will allows you to walk into any gun shop in MN buy a handgun and walk out with it the same day. It's good for a full year and it's free. The catch is that some city ordinances won't allow city police to issue a permit for one year, only for a single purchase. It can be a real pain.

hello again
well i applied for my permit to purchase on the 23rd and picked it up yesterday(2-4)
so that was seven working days,alls good!

and no my son was not" in a hurry"to buy but had already had the used gun from
the shop picked out and could have lost the deal if some one else would have bought it
before he was approved. but it wasnt and he made the purchase and is happy with it.

the reason i started this thread was to find out if the pd/sherrifs dept. had to abide buy
the time frame or not. bcause during the waiting process he was told by the gun shop dealer that legally he was entitled to be approved or denied "within seven days"and when he would call they kept telling him it was done and waiting for the chiefs sig.

i think it was 3 weeks

If the chief continually takes in excess of the period granted by law, maybe you can bring a class action suit against him and cost him some money in addition to forcing him to comply with the law.

Back