What's new
What's new

frame inserts Ruger Single action

Ronniet

Aluminum
I like to work on Old Model 3 screw Ruger single six's 22LR and 22 mags, once in a while I have to shorten a barrel so I do it with hand tools with the receiver attached.
I would like to have the ability to change the barrel/receiver.
I see some plastic type receiver inserts for sale but nothing for the old model Single six which differs from the Blackhawks,Vaqueros and Flat tops,
Is there a good way to grab that receiver that wont tweak it , bust it or turn it to scrap?
How do you do yours, receiver blocks, plastic, wood , aluminum or the whittled 2X4 way?
Please drop me a line and tell me how you have done them.
Thanks
Ron

I recently rebarreled a Blackhawk. I made a frame wrench by building a shallow dam of aluminum, holding the frame in it vertically and filling with Cerrocast low temp compound. The dam was in two halves separated by a business card to permit separation and installation of finished wrench. Voids & holes in the frame were filled with modeling clay. Worked a treat, non-marring.

Blocks and wrenches are available from Brownell's if you don't want to go this route.

You can do the same thing using epoxy bedding compound, like Marine-Tex or similar. Again fill any holes with clay and use plenty of release agent.

I make all of mine, and currently am doing a Single Six block, by cutting hard oak blocks to fit my receiver wrench, then milling/drilling/rasping the necessary contours, then as stated above putting release agent on the frame, mixing up JB weld, and bedding the blocks as they sit in the wrench so I know they will line up the proper way. I learned awhile back to only do 1 side at a time (JB dripped and locked both blocks together!). Once both halves are done you can clean them up real nice. Leave a small spacer between the blocks (with release agent) as they are curing so that as you tighten them down in use they tighten on the frame and not on each other.

Back