What's new
What's new

Front sight removal on Jap Arisaka

longshot

Plastic
Does anyone know how to remove the military front sight on a Jap Type 99 Arisaka without damaging it?
I am trying to restore one that was "sporterized" , and need to remove/replace the sight to replace the bayonet stud band.

People are going to think that I have caustic soda on the brain...

If you have time to spare, Caustic soda (sodium hydroxide / lye) will attack soft solder, and it has the advantage of not damaging the steel. the stronger and hotter the solution, the faster it works.

Keith

Arisaka Type 99 Front Sight

Before you start the Lye method. I believe the front sights are pinned in place. The early front sights on the 6.5mm Arisaka were pinned on with two pins which you could clearly see. The later 6.5mm Arisaka are pinned but the pins were polished flush and blued so you cannot see them. I think the original Type 99 sights were made the same way. If this is a commercial front sight with a ramp, it is probably sodered on and can be heated with a prpane tourch to melt the lead and tap the sight off. If you have any questions, email me at [email protected] and ask me. Peace be with you!

Bill

Front sights on Japanese rifles are held in place with a tapered pin(s). Look just above the top of the barrel on the sight and you will see a faint circle(s), that/those are the pin(s). Place the left side of the sight on a steel surface with a 1/4" dia. (or approx.) placed behind the pin and take a flat punch and drive from right to left. You have to hit the pin hard for it to move. If you can't see the head of the pin take some fine sand paper and scrub a little.
After you get the pin out put a pad around the sight and clamp it in a good vise. Twist and pull on the barrel and work the sigh off. If you attempt to drive it off you will spring it and it will not fit back right. After you get it off put it back on the same way. The old pin will be messed up so have to get a new one. I use a #2 taper pin (or soft 3/16" stick welding rod, cut off about 2 inches stick in in a drill press or lathe and spin it - using a file I make slightly tapered on the rod.) Then with the sight back in place I drive the pin in hard from the left side. Cut with a hacksaw a little long and brad the pin on the right side. Then file/polish both sides down flush and put some cold blue on it and you're back in business!

Front sight removal on Arisaka

Thank you folks for your tips.

This rifle was sent home by my Dad after he liberated it from a sniper on Tarawa.

It had been put in a sporter stock and we cut the front band/bayonet lug to get it off of the barrel. Now we're trying to restore it to original.

I thought that the sight might be pinned, but didn't see evidence for it. We'll take a closer look at the sides of the sight.

Semper-Fi

longshot
3/24 4MarDiv FMF

Back