What's new
What's new

1911 Firing Pin or Problem

mwarren1999

Cast Iron
I am having problems with hammer or firing pin spring or mainspring. Need alittle help here, because I am chasing my tail here.

Everything is working, but the firing pin is just not striking the primer with enough force to fire the bullet. My hope is only a new mainspring is needed, but just want a 2nd option or options of what I need to check.

First off - which design is it. Original 1911, Colt Series 70, 80, etc. Age of the pistol? Are the springs original or modified?

Second - regardless of design, give it a good detail cleaning. Pay special attention to the firing pin and mainspring channel. Check those areas for residue and burrs.

Insert the firing pin into its channel without the spring and see if it will protrude on the chamber end. Then try it with the spring. Be sure it travels freely far enough to ignite the primer.

My first guess would be a modified mainspring. I've known shooters to clip a coil in an attempt to lower trigger pull. If you have a spare GI mainspring laying around, try that after the cleaning and checks above.

Oh - it might not be a bad idea to check headspace too...

Last edited:
Check for dirt in the firing pin hole that might be causing the pin to jam slightly on the firing movement.

Check the mainspring with a known good one from another 1911 that works.

Make sure the gun is completely closed or "in battery" when you try to fire it, or the cartridge may not be stationary enough for the impact to set it off.

Make sure the headspace is correct. If the chamber is too deep then the primer may be just out of reach when the firing pin hits.

Check the ammo in another 1911 to make sure that it isn't the ammo.

If the cartridges are reloads, make sure they weren't loaded with RIFLE primers cause the cups are heavier and some pistols don't strike them hard enough to set them off.

There, that should get you started... Good Luck.

Make sure the headspace is correct. If the chamber is too deep then the primer may be just out of reach when the firing pin hits..

This maybe the problem. I need to measure.

I have changed everything. Firing pin falls though fine, firing pin spring is new, so I thought it maybe too tight. Changed it again. I have changed the mainspring, twice as well (the 1st one was cut down). New one was off my Springfield, and still not working.

Has to be the barrel or I am just out of ideas. The pin hits the primer, because I see small dents. Just not enought to fire.

[ex]firing pin spring is new[/ex]

The firing pin spring has little to do with firing.

Make sure the pin is free to move. The firing pin system is inertial, firing pin spring only holds the firing pin back so the hammer can hit it. if you take a strait edge and put it across the firing pin at the firing pin retainer you will see that the pin does not protrude from the face of the chamber.
Check the Disconnector to make sure you are firing in battery. if the gun is allowing the hammer to drop slightly out of battery the hammer will not drop flat on the firing pin retainer,
This cuts the inertia of the firing pin. High mileage guns start having this type problems. and some are corrected the wrong way by changing the Barrel Link to a slightly longer one.

There should be very little lube on the firing pin. i have seen guns with grease packed in and around the firing pin. this can cause problems

Check the firing pin and hammer for peening. Not likely, but it does happen. Does the firing pin protrude far enough through the firing pin stop and does it slide freely through the stop. It's not a series 80 or later Colt, is it? The series 80 linkage has different length toggles to adjust the firing pin safety. That can cause the pin to drag.

augoldminer is right on about checking battery. Old guns can also have poor barrel lug and slide stop fit. All this can cause excessive headspace on the barrel and forward battery.

Thanks biometrics! I was kinda' surprised that I was first in.

FYI Springfield Armory 1911s have a proprietary sized firing pin and mainspring that are different and not compatible with US Government or Colt specifications.

From the info you have provided sounds like too much headspace, or a weak hammer strike which can happen when the firing pin block timing is incorrect,or a weak/short mainspring.

Headspace measured *from the breachface* (not the barrel hood) to the chamber shoulder should be .920" max. Check your firing pin diameter and length--"standard" 45ACP tip diameter should be .091" -.002", OAL 2.296" -.006".

What make and model 1911 do you have?
Are you shooting factory or handloaded ammunition?

FYI Springfield Armory 1911s have a proprietary sized firing pin and mainspring that are different and not compatible with US Government or Colt specifications.

From the info you have provided sounds like too much headspace, or a weak hammer strike which can happen when the firing pin block timing is incorrect,or a weak/short mainspring.

Headspace measured *from the breachface* (not the barrel hood) to the chamber shoulder should be .920" max. Check your firing pin diameter and length--"standard" 45ACP tip diameter should be .091" -.002", OAL 2.296" -.006".

What make and model 1911 do you have?
Are you shooting factory or handloaded ammunition?

The gun is actually a model 70 (ammo is new Win), and I am beginning to think a couple problems are the cause. Headspace is a concern, but it is not terrible. Second is the hammer strike. I have ordered a new mainspring, and plan tocheck the hammer square once it arrives.

Due to the new mainspring, I actually tabled this for a week or so but plan to jump back on it by Monday.

Back