What's new
What's new

Another ques. for JOAT(or anyone else)

skyhawk

Plastic
RE: Remington model 12 rifle
I ordered the rretaineer from Numrich, it arrived yesterday but I'm not smart enough to see how it goes together. I can't tell from the parts drawing at Numrich's site. I spent two hrs. trying all sorts of ways to assemble it, was hoping you or someone could describe in detail how to do it. Or maybe provide a link to a schematic. Thanks for your time...Bob Cox

The easiest way to install the retainer is to do it with the action bar (the piece the forearm moves back and forth in the action)out of the gun. The retainer fits in a square notch in the underside of the barrel. The feed ramp on the retainer goes toward the chamber which will give you the correct orientation for the part. when installed correctly, the action bar will then slide back over it and you can put the forestock back on. Be sure the action bar is again fully rearward, pressing the stop button so it will go into the receiver making the forestock flush with the front of the receiver before trying to put the bolt back in. When installing the bolt tip the rear of it up to slide the hooks under the action bar hooks and push it forward with the action bar until the stop button clears the receiver, locking in the bolt and retainer. The hammer needs to be in full cock before assembling. When completed, with the gun turned back upright, you will see the retainer riding between the barrel and the action bar sticking out forward of the receiver. The barrel of course keeps it positioned in place. Hope this helps

Yep, I figured out what I was doing wrong. Heck, I was trying to put it in backwards with the long end inside. That part works good now but the bullets need to be kicked up a little higher (on the bolt) since they hang up before going into the barrel.
If I can figure what is causing that to happen I'll have a nice little gun. Thanks, JOAT. Bob Cox

One possible problem may be the bolt face/extractor. When the carrier lifts the round it should index under the extractor and slide up the bolt face. If the bolt face is rough or there is a worn extractor (mine was) then the round will not be presented to the chamber correctly. Just a thought.

Back