What's new
What's new

Nickle Plating Removal

marysdad

Plastic
I have an Argentine M1891 Mauser that has some of the small parts nickle plated (bayonet lug, triggerguard, etc.). The nickle is very worn and I'd like to take it off, so I can blue these parts. It looks like there may be copper plate under the nickle. I tried using Brownell's chemical nickle stripper and it only worked on the first part I dipped. Then it stopped working. A waste of $35. What other approaches might work?

Hey, I've got a 91 Argy too!

You're probably right about the copper under the nickel - many electroplated metals bond better if a copper "strike" is first plated onto the base matal, befor the addition of nickel, silver, gold, etc.

I'm guessing that the concentration of the Brownell's stripping solution was just enough to get you through the first part; after that there wasnt enough of the required chemical to continue any further stripping action.

Nickel plate is pretty tough, but you might have a go at it with some emery cloth, followed by a fairly hard buffing wheel, and some tripoli cutting compound. Be sure to thoroughly clean the tripoli residue before applying any finish.

Try contacting someone who does plating. I had a chromed trigger guard and a guy in the Detroit area removed the plating. He said if it had been Ni chrome, it would be harder but he could still do it. Good luck-Jerald

Try:
D&B
22803 Patmore
Clinton Twp., MI

1-586- 4699393

Try this at your own risk!! Plastic container made out of water pipe, sulphuric acid, as used in car batteries, lead blocks to attract the free nickle, car battery for power supply. Neg on part, pos on lead. It worked for me on a Stevens Favorite. Be very careful with the acid!!!!!!!
hms50

I also would like to remove nickle (or chrome?)plating from barrell, hammer t.guard and misc. areas of a model 1854 cavalry pistol. does anyone know how to differentiate Ni vs Chrome and how to remve these?

I use muriatic acid to remove chrome from old bridgeport ways so I can re scrape. I don't know if that will work on nickle. Printed circuit board etching fluid might work also. It would eat the copper if it can get through the Ni.

Back