What's new
What's new

stains on pistol

dian

Titanium
so i v had this blank pistol for years, i used it to train the lab. i always kept it in a bag in my truck. recently we stepped up to a dummy laucher, so i dind use it for awhile. when i checked it out recently, it had white stains on it everywhere, kind of a buid up, not rust. after trying oils and solvents, the buidup is still there, not as white as before. the only unusual thing i noticed, there was abox of matches in the bag, dont know where it came from of if it has been there before.

any ideas how to get rid of the stuff or what it might be? i havent tried any abrasives yet, hoping that there was away to get rid of it, without hurting the "blueing" of the gun.

thanks.

Blank pistol.

Does it have a "pot metal" frame. If so, its a zinc alloy and the white may be a corosion product from the zinc.

Check the frame with a magnet to see if it is steel. If it doesn't stick, it may be zinc. Depending on the age of the piece, it may be time to dispose of it safely. Old zinc castings frequently self-destructed because of chemical impurities in the alloy which caused internal corrosion. Eventually the piece is honeycombed with corrosion products and falls apart.

Hi

Its an ongoing issue with Potmetal/Zinc signal and blank guns.
Propellant residuals+moisture = funny corrosion.
Some German shooting enthusiasts celebrate new years eve with these guns, as that is our "4th July" .

Amongst them this problem is common knowledge and solved with all sorts of "german thoroughness" :

Warm alkaline detergent water, rinse, dry, oil....
Walnut blasting through chambers and barrels....

I have one too, a good wipe down with an alkaline weapon oil has always been sufficient......

Back