What's new
What's new

Test firing customers rifles, ok or not?

SND

Diamond
Seems quite a few of the larger manufacturers are test firing every single firearm they make to be sure it passes, and probably also helps with the liability insurance if you can prove every single unit worked going out the door, which I'll be discussing with my insurance broker.

So do any of you gunsmiths test fire your customers rifles and what is your procedure?, or do you not do any test firing because many high precision shooters can be quite particular as to their barrel break in procedures and what not?
I'm currently going through the process of trying to get liability insurance to cover firearm work and looking at all my costs and what I'll be comfortable with if it proves worth the trouble. I think test firing every rifle could be an important factor to both prove that all is working as it should, and also to get an accuracy report before it leaves. Which would give the chance to either tweak it better if needed, and to also have a proof in the event that someone went to someone who for any reason cannot get it to shoot well and then tries to put it on the guy who did the work.

So, what are the thoughts and general procedures regarding this matter?

thanks

I don't test fire any of the rifles I work on. But I run a high risk for doing it. Not for liability as I have never had a gun blow up because of what I did. But because if it still does not work after I repair it I'm obligated to put it right the second time for free. That sort of thing can cost you thousands of dollars in labor a year. I have about 5 come back per year out of the thousand I repair. It wasn't always that way though and I used to test fire everything. Now I'm confident enough that I don't bother to shoot them. You probably should shoot everything 3 times for the first ten years of your work or until it starts to seam like its a waste of time. which ever comes first. A test fire tank will cost about $500.00 to make and about $300.00 per year to maintain. You can buy them for two or three thousand. Your outlay in ammo is going to be a hit. About $2,000 to start up and then about $30 to 50 a box to maintain in Canada. I used to charge $5 a round to test rifles and $2 a round for shotgun. Rimfire was incidental and I used to charge a flat $10 for one or 100 rounds. You will have to get a discharge permit from your local city or municipality and the local RCMP if you wish to discharge restricted and prohibited firearms. They are generally free anywhere but Quebec.

I test fire EVERY rifle I build for liability issues. Sure, I built it, I KNOW its perfect but I fire it. I also keep a fired brass with the serial # written on the brass as proof that at my point in time it was perfect. Unlike Chucker who has kajillions to burn, i keep a record. To be more clear, done on every rifle I chamber. As Chucker said, a brake job, bedding, etc, etc, no, no proof firing. Ammo wise on proof firing, I do an upcharge of $40 for a box of 20 unless they have their own. Having their own is also suspect.......notation made.......better to use factory stuff.

We test fire everything that leaves our shop. Some even gets a proof round. Test fire for brakes and suppressors to ensure no baffle strikes. Accuracy test on all match and sniper rifles. Function test on all semi and full auto guns. Part of the job. A soliders life may depend on it. Ammo is cheep.

That's very good to know, thanks.

MilGunsmith, when testing a match rifle for accuracy what is your procedure, do you use regular factory match ammo or good reloads, and what is the cleaning process/break in? as some are quite picky about that.

thanks

If you don't mind me saying so, as a customer, I would want to have consented to whatever procedure you employ. Someone might be very picky about break in procedure on a new barrel. That could make them a real pain in the arse.

If you are the least little bit uncertain about your work you should test fire. If you are working for idiots you REALLY SHOULD test fire everything. If you do warranty work you test fire EVERYTHING, even if you adjust the sight 1/2 inch to the left. If you are working for any gubberment agency you ABSOFUCKINGLUTELY MUST test fire anything. Even if you just look at it from across the room. Suffice to say, I don't work for idiots or the gubberment anymore and I run warranty representatives off with a big stick.

Well Yall, us here over yonder beat our idiots into submission. :D Funning aside, our full rifle builds come with an accuracy guarantee. We proof fire / test with ammo we make and the target with ammo data is included when presented.

We use regular GI match/sniper ammo, M852, M118LR or MK262, depending on the rifle as thats what the troops shoot. Most are shot from a machine rest to remove human error. Usally shoot a 5 shot string , clean and shoot 5 again, for a 20 shot group.

I don't test fire everything but I test fire a lot of the stuff I work on. Most of my work is on Uzi subguns and it costs about $100 each way to ship them. Its cheeper to test fire and be sure then have to pay the shipping. All rebarrel jobs get test fired. If someone doesn't want their firearm test fired they can take it somewere else.

Thanks for all the replies. No news yet on how much extra it might cost for insurance or what else might be required but hopefully will know something next week. Definitely getting a grasp of why there's next to nobody left doing it as a profession in Canada though.

Back