What's new
What's new

Glock 23 jamming

bing4466

Plastic
I've only fired this twice and it jammed both times. I bought it used at a gun show, and it was presented to me as a LEO weapon. Any ideas? I searched back a year and didn't find any related posts. If you need more info let me know.

jim

I asked a couple police and military armorers how they dealt with the plastic guns and they said they were treated just like parachutes. If you got in a fire fight and it didn't work, bring it back to the depot and they would issue you a new one. I won't even take them in for cleaning anymore. You toss them in the solvent tank and clean it and they guy takes it out and it starts jamming and its your fault. There isn't much you can do. I can understand why our city police like them though. Our plastic cops come right out of the little cop factory with a 100 pound kip. Body amour, mace, pepper spray, 1/2 dozen magazines, baton, steal toed heavy soled shoes, gun, ticket clipboard, 2 pairs of handcuffs, stun gun, batman utility belt, full uniform and something else. Oh yes a badge. I get scared every time I see one on the street. Robocop had nothing on these jokers. One officer looks like an entire seal team mobilizing for Pakistan so I can see where a light plastic gun would be nice.

Some more info wouldn't hurt...
--What kind of loads? (make, bullet weight, brass or aluminum cases..)
--Are you using factory magazines?
--Are you holding the gun firm enough...a loose grip or weak wrist will sometimes cause a "jam".
--Factory barrel?
--Is it a 23 or a 23C ?
--Any modifications...springs, trigger job, guide rod, etc

I'm still a newb, but I have owned a 22C (it's bigger brother) since 2000-01 and have never cleaned it and it has never jammed or misfired (knock on wood) with roughly 1000 rounds through it...I need to shoot more often :-)

Mike

No telling what springs are in it as it was used and LEO. Get the spring set for the ammo you will shoot if it stovepipes. If it isn't extracting, check the extractor. If it isn't ejecting, check the ejector. If the lid won't snap on right it probably had too many trips thru the dishwasher--common Tupperware problem.

Ben

Amazing the replies here...

I actually work on quite a few of them.. Usually a small part swap, upgraded sights, trigger etc... Never had a return after cleaning or upgrade...

Quite a few of these pistols have run over 250,000 rounds without failing, they seem to hold together well.

Large capacity magazine, and being a handgun, kind of rules out 99% of Canadian civilian gunowners opinions :)

Quite repairable, Many parts have been updated by Glock to a newer improved part over the years (magazine followers, trigger bars, extractors, ejectors, etc). Since most parts cost just a few dollars, not a big deal.

The later GEN4 Glocks do seem to have some problems, in some models...

Glocktalk is the place to get informative correct Glock information... Not opinions..

abarnsley,

The OP said it is a "used" gun and it jams. "it jams" can be for a number of reasons, none of which were given. If he said fail to extract, fail to eject, fail to feed, etc. we might be able to point out an area to check.

As was given, check the extractor, ejector, and springs is a good starting point IMHO.

Now he owes me $.02 cause the first advise was free.

Ben

As others have already stated, the jams could be from multiple reasons. Being used LE is the first, most LE's see alot of rounds through them and usually the cheapest the dept. can afford. Being a Glock armorer, I know that Glock suggest specific parts be replaced after so many rounds of ammo are fired. Your best bet is to 1.) use quality ammo 2.) you probably should replace the extractor spring and possibly the extractor if needed, not knowing how many rounds the gun has seen you should probably replace the recoil spring as well, Glock suggest after 5000 rds. on most models, but it's like being told you need to change your oil in your car every 3000 miles, yes it's good for it but it doesn't mean it's going to breakdown. Being that you have no way of knowing you'd be better off replacing these parts and and seeing if these parts correct the problem. You could possibly have after market parts in the gun not built to factory specs or tolerances that are worn out and need replacing, calling Glock and seeking their advice is also a good idea as well and they are usually more than glad to help. Good luck!:)

Sorry guys..I watched this thread like a hawk (NOT) lol and thanks. The jam is fail to feed and cycling the slide feeds the chamber after a shot. I know nothing about the piece, and have no knowledge of Glocks; if someone can point me to numbers on the pistol that will help (two numbers: CUG840US CUG770, Glock mag. stamped RESTRICTED LE/GOVT ONLY 13 rds.) I'll post them. I bought it because I wanted more rounds than my Airweight and bigger ones than my Bobcat .25. I'll poke around and find out where I can send if (if the local gun guy - Powderhorn - can't fix it. Do springs sag in the mag. if left loaded for long periods?

edit: Powderhorn in Forest Grove closed up July.

Last edited:
Just go to glocktalk.com

They are the Practical Machinist type of site, dedicated to Glocks..

With some searching, you probably won't even need to post your question there.

You will find which part numbered extractors, mag followers, recoil spring assemblys, ejectors, etc, have been updated to fix various problems with the many different models and generations of Glocks...

There have been hundreds of minor changes, known problem models, etc

Dozens of Glock armorers there, years of experience...

Nnnnooooo ...... Glock pistols crash and hang up a lot a lot. he he he

That's a new one to me, do you know this from experience? I own three, each with 5-15000 rounds through them with very few misfires (cheap ammo). Last time I checked it was without dispute one of the most reliable pistol designs of all time. 65 % of USA law enforcement chooses Glock including BATF, DEA, and US Marshals.

They must be pretty accurate and reliable because they chose it over the modern Colt 1911 and its many variants. The Mossberg shotguns must be pretty good too because a lot of government agency's dropped the Remington 870 in favor of that. The only people still in the stone age with the old, unreliable and inaccurate Colts and the Remingtons are the target shooters. But target shooters are pretty cheap so it's understandable.

⎝ᄽ‿ᄿ⎠

Do you have a light attached to front of pistol? I have read that tac-lights were inducing malfunctions. Glock 22 question - M4Carbine.net Forums regardless, If the pistol is intended for personal defence I'd suggest overhaul of commonly worn parts. Glock released a wearable parts schedule for LEO's glocks 40s in 08' (google it) sayin to replace recoil and mag springs
"The recommendations for replacement of the recoil & mag springs are listed as:
G22/22RTF & G35: recoil spring assembly @ 2,500 rounds & mag springs @ 2,500 - 4,000 rounds
G23/23RTF @ 2,000 rounds for both recoil & mag springs
G27: Recoil spring assembly @ 3,000 rounds & mag springs @ 5,000 rounds"
Plus Glock factory parts are too cheap to chance it Glock Factory Parts - GlockStore.com

I'm not sold on springs being the issue here, because if modern springs don't sag under normal use why would they have to be replaced? Especially the recoil spring, which spends most of it's life in a near-relaxed state. A good analogy would be valve springs in a car. I have never heard of automotive valve springs being listed as need-to-replace after so many hours, and they get hotter than a mag spring. I think I'll pedal my G23 and get a nice reliable revolver, since weight isn't an issue with me and if six rounds won't do the job on a bad guy I doubt if 13 would either. If I have time to pump in 13 rounds I should have time for a speed loader.

From my experience with Glocks, I'd get a new magazine and see if it changes the behavior.

Many feeding problems in semi-auto guns are due to the magazine's presentation of the round into the chamber. If the magazine's lips are bent, scored, worn, etc - it changes the angle at which the round is fed into the chamber, resulting in FTF or other problems.

Back