What's new
What's new

Straight wall chambers

ThomD

Aluminum
I'm thinking of a long term project in which I will open up the bore of a 45/70 to 50 cal (if there is enough beef in the barrel), and rechamber to 50 AK (alaskan). With a straight wall cartridges, is it possible/recomended to cut the chamber with a boring tool, or for that mater, perhaps a standard reamer? Getting reamers around here is next to impossible.

It would depend on the actual cartridge dimensions. Most straight wall cases still have some taper even though they have no bottle neck. The well designed ones also have a cylindrical section to hold the bullet, so there would be two setups required to bore a chamber, plus a third to address the leade. All this is done at the same time with a chamber reamer.

Good points. I'd rather a reamer, but the larger reamers are all over the export limit, and in 50 cal it's probably not going to be available up here.

Thom,

May be worth asking some UK reamer suppliers,we have no restrictions at all on chamber reamers.They can be exported anywhere on a CN22 as "Machine tools".
If you get really stuck and cannot get a dealer to send one to Canada I'm happy to do the export from here for you?
We do have some weird ass gun laws here but in some ways ours are quite easy,we can have moderators and buy stuff like shells,reamers,bullets etc without any problem.It's getting the guns that causes all the paperwork.

cheers Dave

One other method is to take a .525 or so reamer to a tool and cutter shop and have it ground. Lots of CNC grinder shops around, all you need is a profile and sizes.

An aquaintance of mine goes this route for his custom carbibe cutters and says it is surprisingly cost effective.
Check the yellow pages in a city near you.

Cheers
Trevor Jones

Dave, what about brass and bullets? Can they be shipped to Sweden without to much trouble?
Where can i get that, do you have any good links?

Hiya Ski

Bullets are not permitted to be anything other than FMJ for export without the paperwork.Brass shouldn't be a problem.As Sweden is an EU country there are no customs paperwork to do
no CN22 required

I'll have a hunt round,what calibres are you after?
Ever thought about wamadet swaging the slugs? its pretty easy.I make TMJ .223 bullets from used .22 rimfire cases
for jackets the cases are perfect

let me know what types and what calibres and I'll hunt round my suppliers

cheers Dave

You didn't state whether you were going to bore out a rifle or a revolver.
Here are some pic's of this weeks work.
I bored out a .45-70 cylinder and made it accept .50 Alaskan. There was NO way to bore the barrel and have enough meat on it for that 50 AK. We put on a new barrel.
We also bored some straight 50 Ak cylinders. We cut rifle our own barrels and then Octagon them by machining then draw-filing. We use Steel & Stainless for making our guns (I won't say which types)
As far as converting a Lever Action Rifle (Marlin 1895 action) from to .45-70 to .50 Alaskan you also need to change the barrel. You are losing too much wall thickness when you bore out a stock barrel.
Enjoy the Pic's. Some of the pic's have things blocked out regarding our manufacturing process.
#1 Boring out a customers .45-70 revolver to 50 Alaskan.
50AKCylboringResize.jpg

#2 Showing the Frame with 2 new cylinders for fitting
50AlaskancloseupwithframeResized.jpg

#3 A new .50 Alaskan with our Octagon barrel, Barrel band and fancy scallops waiting for fitting.
CloseBBLCylFrame50AKResize.jpg

I have screwed up a couple projects trying to make a chamber with boring bars.

It has been done, but not by me.

I now buy custom reamers and still have enough problems.

Clark;
With me boring is for"Rob I need it now". Custom reamers are the only way to go. I have only had one bad one(not enough releif), and a phone call got me one next day air. Boring is a lot of work mainly because of material, so it makes for a lot of polishing. The stainless' aren't bad but chromemoly sucks with both lips.

I agree, custom and the best you can buy, til I grind them.
Rob

Back