What's new
What's new

Grizzly mini lathe

Rjwtx

Plastic
Can the grizzly 4x6 micro handle turning 5/8 O-1 drill rod to a reamer profile?

What rules I read the forum rules this is not vulgar or obscene and pertains to gunsmithing whay other "rule" did I miss? I thought it was a legitimate question. And that was my first post you could be polite about thing instead of just blasting someone. I'm heard to learn and gather info and talk about gunsmithing

So I'll give some back story, I'm trying to start a barrel making shop as I am now quite disabled and can't work in the industrial function anymore but it's going to take a while to get the lathe I need for it. I can afford the mill I want, and a small lathe so..... What budget mini lathe would be acceptable to start making reamers so once I can afforrd my big lathe I can start clambering barrels. Thank you.... but gee I wonder what rules I broke this time. And yes I have the knowledge and experience doing it, just not so much with small lathe and their capacities.

So I'll give some back story, I'm trying to start a barrel making shop as I am now quite disabled and can't work in the industrial function anymore but it's going to take a while to get the lathe I need for it. I can afford the mill I want, and a small lathe so..... What budget mini lathe would be acceptable to start making reamers so once I can afforrd my big lathe I can start clambering barrels. Thank you.... but gee I wonder what rules I broke this time. And yes I have the knowledge and experience doing it, just not so much with small lathe and their capacities.

If you start making reamers you will need a good tool grinder. Not knowing how a chamber reamer is different from other reamers, most people start out with a standard reamer and grind it to their specifications.

Were you expecting to flute, harden and temper?

Tom

Ah so I can't mention the brand's of machines? And I figured I could save a lot of money making my own reamers. I would like to learn to make bore reamers too but rifle button i think ill just order those lol

While not optimum, I see no reason that lathe cannot be used for that purpose. The simplest chambering reamer to make is the D-reamer, but fluted reamers are well within the abilities of the home shop.

The owner of this site objects to mentioning the low priced imported lathes, his site, his rules no matter how foolish. That requirement is not enforced on this forum however.

I figured I could save a lot of money making my own reamers. I would like to learn to make bore reamers too but rifle button i think ill just order those lol

All this has to be paid for, somehow.

If.. you are bent on doing this from a "cold start", far better chance of success if you buy (or rent) the best reamers as can be had. You have an uphill trek to make already as a newbie barrel supplier. Why make it harder?

Better to defer making your own until you have that "big" lathe - and a lot more - so as to take as many potential negatives out of the start-up period as you can do.

And that was my first post you could be polite about thing instead of just blasting someone.

Didn't bother to do much reading on here before posting, didya? :D

But seriously, there is a reason hobby/toy/junk Chinese machines aren't topics of discussion here - it keeps the forum from turning into another hobby machinist website, which there are already plenty of. Most of the guys here aren't opposed to them, broadly speaking, but most would probably contend that they aren't an industrial piece of equipment, and have no place being discussed in a setting that is specifically for professionals using serious machines.

And posting on here is like your first day in a new shop - you're going to get ribbed/hazed/heckled, even if you've been a machinist for 75 years on 7 continents.

The offensive behavior goes both ways.

You didn't take 5 minutes to read some of the post's here.

But your disabled so that makes it all better eh ?

I believe the rules on gunsmithing are relaxed compared to say, general. No one seems to utter a whimper when a Atlas or Craftsman lathe is mentioned.

This is correct, in spite of all the moderator-wannabees. We seem to have to go over this every 6 months or so.

The owner of this site objects to mentioning the low priced imported lathes, his site, his rules no matter how foolish. That requirement is not enforced on this forum however.

This is also correct. I have talked with the owner and he is OK with it HERE. So let's be a little more tolerant.

To the OP, yes, the mini lathes can handle this. If you are doing this as a hobby for yourself it is a viable way to enjoy gunmaking at a low cost in tooling but at a high cost in time spent. If doing it professionally, it is better to use reamers from a professional shop that can provide a good reamer the first time at a lower cost. You will spend less money for materials to make a reamer but it will cost much more in time lost, IOW, it is cheaper to buy a reamer and spend all your time doing work you will get paid for at full shop rate.

Just ignore the people who tell you to read the rules but have not paid attention to the rules as enforced by the moderator of this forum. Do be aware the rules are different for the rest of the site.

I believe the rules on gunsmithing are relaxed compared to say, general. No one seems to utter a whimper when a Atlas or Craftsman lathe is mentioned.

This is correct, in spite of all the moderator-wannabees. We seem to have to go over this every 6 months or so.

This is also correct. I have talked with the owner and he is OK with it HERE. So let's be a little more tolerant.

I have been wondering when you would respond. I definitely agree with the overall policy of excluding hobby lathes. OTOH, I recognize that gunsmithing is a special case. In my view, the ideal gunsmith lathe would be a 5" swing Hardinge inch/metric HVLH with 30" between centers and a 2" spindle bore. Unfortunately, no one has seen fit to make such a lathe and the long headstocks on many lathes disqualify them for a lot of barrel work. Therefore, despite my dislike for a lot of the cheap lathes, I have to agree with you here.

I also agree with your policy of responding in a gentlemanly manner.

Keep up the good work.

Bill

To the OP, yes, the mini lathes can handle this. If you are doing this as a hobby for yourself it is a viable way to enjoy gunmaking at a low cost in tooling but at a high cost in time spent. If doing it professionally, it is better to use reamers from a professional shop that can provide a good reamer the first time at a lower cost. You will spend less money for materials to make a reamer but it will cost much more in time lost, IOW, it is cheaper to buy a reamer and spend all your time doing work you will get paid for at full shop rate.

..and this stays true for "quite while", even if your first lathe is a Schaublin instead of an <insert brand or nationality of choice> AKA "El Cheapo".

Basically, the best - perhaps ONLY - reason to DIY a reamer is if it is for an experimental / Wildcat with a profile NO ONE ELSE already makes.

Economics issue. Not a skills or machine-tool issue.

I'll say it again - over forty years back, I was in on the start of Briley here in Houston. Jesse, now I guess a millionaire (and 89) liked to say THE VERY BEST YOU CAN GET IS BARELY GOOD ENOUGH in referring to business equipment

Jesse Briley was successful working on this philosophy

Jesse was a fellow tool engineer at Reed Tool circa early seventies, and started in his garage in the Spring Branch part of Houston

Briley Manufacturing, the best shotgun chokes IN THE WORLD!

Back