What's new
What's new

Entirely 3D Printed Gun

They don't offer any detail, but the program is available.

History, Travel, Arts, Science, People, Places | Smithsonian

Bill

It was an absolute abuse of ITAR to pretend that it applied to DEFCAD's crappy little toy models. There's been accurate and manufacturer 3d models of -respectable- firearms online for decades. Their little pistol is a POS that is a purely academic exercise. It was an interesting "what if" and then moved on, and the guy got some attention for it. Seems like a tool (the guy) so I'm not surprised he milked it for what he could.

I have a copy of all the DEFCAD files from just before they were taken down. I made a habit of downloading the library after each update, just because it was interesting. I looked through most of the files and 75% or more is horrible crap made by idiots. There are some sound suppressor models that are absolutely laughable. But that's the nature of open internet freedom - plenty of noise among the signal. There were some truly interesting and admirable designs in there, too. One was a modified AR15 receiver with modular components for the 'furniture' that you could pick and choose from to build your own favorite style of rifle or pistol. And while most of it was not to my personal taste, it was well designed and I liked a few of them, personally.

The files have been on The Pirate Bay and many other torrent aggregates ever since the take down years ago. (oh, I just noticed the article is from 2013, sorry)

For what it's worth, the gun is not /completely/ 3d printable. It requires a couple pieces of commonly available hardware. The design is not reliably reproducible either. I saw as many reports of kabooms on the first shot, as I did success stories. And most success stories that fired it until it failed... didn't take long. High risk item to use, for certain.

It's a 'romantic' idea that he was promoting- enabling the impoverish and oppressed the means to better resist injustice, but I don't think it changes anything. People in such situations are already used to making crude firearms out of wood and metal that are just as ugly and much more reliable, and many times 'chambered' a more powerful cartridge. Slam fire, single shot 12ga shotguns, for instance.

I just saved the files because I feel like the DOD/ATF wouldn't want me to have them, lol. I don't plan on 'exporting' them, by any means.

BTW, anyone who has shared a PDF copy (or hosts one online), via the internet, of the Manufacture of the 1903 Springfield rifle has committed the same "crime" that the DEFCAD guy has. Just to provide some perspective.

Old news

Smithsonian.com
May 10, 2013

I guess I shouldn't be surprised. I get the Smithsonian magazine and made the mistake of giving them my email address. Every couple of days they send articles, some of which are quite interesting but are miserable to read because you have to constantly work around the ads, some popups that appear just about the time you get into the article. I didn't notice the date on this one.

I agree that 3D printing guns is not especially a game changer. I have a .22 pistol that I made when I was 13 on my 9" Logan lathe, a bolt action single shot with the barrel and receiver made from an old Ford rear axle. A primitive piece of craftsmanship at best, but it could kill you just as daid as any other gun.

Bill

I guess I shouldn't be surprised. I get the Smithsonian magazine and made the mistake of giving them my email address. Every couple of days they send articles, some of which are quite interesting but are miserable to read because you have to constantly work around the ads, some popups that appear just about the time you get into the article. I didn't notice the date on this one.

I agree that 3D printing guns is not especially a game changer. I have a .22 pistol that I made when I was 13 on my 9" Logan lathe, a bolt action single shot with the barrel and receiver made from an old Ford rear axle. A primitive piece of craftsmanship at best, but it could kill you just as daid as any other gun.

Bill

Right, and it wasn't unusual to have metal shop firearm projects in older times, so I hear.

To me, the public has an innate prejudice against poor people and an undeserving ingrained trust of skilled and/or rich people. So far, the public has been ok with the idea that you had to be some manner of a craftsman to create a gun from scratch (even if you sourced a complete barrel). They've been trusting that they are safe if only rich people can finance/accomplish it. But having a "3d printer" that people believe can be bought and simply made to create gun parts by "hitting the green button" - there is a danger.

To me, it's just another 'tell' that America thinks way too highly of the rich, or way too poorly of the less-than-rich. I think if they ever saw what a bubba in a machine shop could accomplish, they'd shit bricks.

Having worked in the firearms business and manufacturing NFA items, I cringe when machinists tell me of a sound suppressor they made for a gun, which I am guessing is a felony they're admitting to, whether they know it or not. I usually just go "I HEAR NOTHZING. NOTHZING!" at that point.

Back