What's new
What's new

Gunsmith Tool Question - What would this One be used for? Help

rsako

Plastic
Ok, so I found what appears to be a sight pusher tool buried in my ol' tool box. Acquired a few years ago along with some other goodies. So far it looks like a B-Square brand from years gone by. No markings to indicate that however...just a guess from a few folks this side of the pond.

The arbour is .311-312max suggesting use on a 7.62x39 or old 303 British. But why would it need a fixed arbor? for a sight pusher? which would be extended beyond muzzle. The Slot is angled and would be a strange fit. It's pro-built as far as can tell.

Any ideas why this is in my tool box? What firearm model could it be used on? Sight set-up etc...?

Please, never mind the funny jokes..Respect the inquiry, to those that may have an answer or an educated guess.

6uOKz87m.jpg

1HKKJDQm.jpg

Ok, so I found what appears to be a sight pusher tool buried in my ol' tool box. Acquired a few years ago along with some other goodies. So far it looks like a B-Square brand from years gone by. No markings to indicate that however...just a guess from a few folks this side of the pond.

The arbour is .311-312max suggesting use on a 7.62x39 or old 303 British. But why would it need a fixed arbor? for a sight pusher? which would be extended beyond muzzle. The Slot is angled and would be a strange fit. It's pro-built as far as can tell.

Any ideas why this is in my tool box? What firearm model could it be used on? Sight set-up etc...?

Please, never mind the funny jokes..Respect the inquiry, to those that may have an answer or an educated guess.

6uOKz87m.jpg

1HKKJDQm.jpg

What if it isn't a sight-pusher at all? Could there be one of more additional pieces misplaced?

Been trying to visualize it other places, and not just rifles. Auto-pistols and wheelguns, even.

Would it align an underbarrel tubular magazine whilst being attached?
Clamp a wheelgun cylinder whilst being engraved?
Is the fixed arbour readily removable?

Attachment for a bore sighter perhaps? Definitely not a sight pusher

Last edited:
.311-.312 arbor isn't going to go in a .303 barrel unless it's grooved for the rifling.

My guess is an indicator attachment. If it's gun related at all, barrel goes in the v-block.

Would not have to be a firearm barrel, even if part of a 'smith's kit. Could have been altered to serve as a clamp to a drill blank, ground round stock, or milling cutter shank, sweep an indicator for tramming his mill.

Could be part of a rig to locate barrel bands, rail attachments, or forward-placed gas cylinder ports, certain service rifles.

Store-bought initially, (if even..) shop re-purposed, maybe, IOW.

It is a riser for a collimator. Also known as a bore sighter. Use on AR 15's, Fal's etc. Clamp your bore sighter to the stud, and put spud of choice/caliber in v block.

"Can't get there from here" is the issue. Puts stuff bass-ackwards of where it needs to be.

Maybe my poor grammar confused you? forgot to send that one to the editor. Bore sight attachment seems to be the most likely.

It is a riser for a collimator. Also known as a bore sighter. Use on AR 15's, Fal's etc. Clamp your bore sighter to the stud, and put spud of choice/caliber in v block.

YES Sir:) We have a winner. Why didn't I think of that! The fact that another fella on a different forum has one with B-Square stamped on his should have tipped me off. He didn't know what it was used for either.

Further research shows that Brownell's even sells an upgraded version of this, which is adjustable for height. They call it a Collimator Elevator.

W. FREAR INNOVATIONS COLLIMATOR ELEVATOR | Brownells

Now we know! Thanks to Kendog and all!

Maybe my poor grammar confused you? forgot to send that one to the editor. Bore sight attachment seems to be the most likely.

Not the grammer. The "fixation" in that if it had familiar features shared with a sight-adjuster, then it must BE a sight adjuster, just of a different sort that what was familiar.

A major key in Kendog's explanation? "RISER".

The offset and "handedness" we were mentally trying to find a way AROUND so as to position it as a DIRECT sight adjuster was actually a necessity to its serving a different task, similar end-goal - establishing point-of-aim.

It is a boresighting riser or elevator. Used when your optic sits too high for your boresight tool. Any interest in selling it?

Back