What's new
What's new

Lathe and Mill for Suppressors

rlandrum

Plastic
I'm in the market for a Lathe and Mill that I can used to build suppressors. The last time I turned anything on a lathe or used a mill was 20 years ago in high-school, but even that experience was limited to making a punch (with knurling), and milling some initials into mild steel.

The suppressor designs are fairly basic, and in general would require turning down a 1.125x6.5 inch aluminum blank into 0.750, and drilling a .4687 inch hole lengthwise through the center.

After that, I'd need to use the mill to drill baffles perpendicular to the center hole.

I also need to do a bit of threading and tapping, but I'm largely unfamiliar with how that's done with a lathe (if it even is).

If possible, I'd like to spend less than $2000 for the setup, and both need to be no more than 220v single-phase. Since these are suppressors, accuracy isn't critical, though less than 0.005 is recommended.

A smithy would work for this but if you have not been threading then there is a recipe for disaster. Do you have your class 3 for manufacturing suppressors. Just because you can make it doesnt meen the BATF is going to let you. Last I checked that is 20 years manditory for first offense having possesion. I dont know what the charge is for manufacturing. Also, What calliber would you use .4687 hole for baffles? for .22's i use extruded 1" with 3/4 bore tube then thread the ends. I make all of my baffles like the Walther K baffles with slight mods and they are better than anything that ever came out of red jacket. (And they are wicked accurate)

Accuracy actually IS quite critical :-). Consider that the tax on the suppressor is $200 for each one, you might as make as nice of one as possible considering the tax.

You will probably be shopping for imported machinery on that budget......there is a company starting with "G" that makes green machines that may be able to help you :-).

You can single point cut threads on a lathe, as well as use taps and dies, the single point cut threads will generally be more concentric to the axis of the part than then threads cut with taps and dies.

Bill

A smithy would work for this but if you have not been threading then there is a recipe for disaster. Do you have your class 3 for manufacturing suppressors. Just because you can make it doesnt meen the BATF is going to let you. Last I checked that is 20 years manditory for first offense having possesion. I dont know what the charge is for manufacturing. Also, What calliber would you use .4687 hole for baffles? for .22's i use extruded 1" with 3/4 bore tube then thread the ends. I make all of my baffles like the Walther K baffles with slight mods and they are better than anything that ever came out of red jacket. (And they are wicked accurate)

The smithy's are a little pricey. I do not intend to manufacture for commercial sale. I'd still need the tax stamp, though. The plans I have show that for a .22, the baffle holes should actually be .2750, not .4687 as originally stated. The only tapping and threading I've done is with dies on a bench, and nothing over .5 inches. That said, I'm willing to screw up a few times.

The design I'm looking to build is actually referred to as "MonoCore". The baffles are drilled through a single inner core. I also have plans for K, M, I, and E baffles in a 1.375 can.

You will probably be shopping for imported machinery on that budget......there is a company starting with "G" that makes green machines that may be able to help you :-).

Your reticence to actually name them implies they have a somewhat negative reputation, I presume. That said, I almost immediately dismissed them based solely on Amazon reviews.

Actually, after poking around the Smithy site, I found the Midas, which seems within my budget.

Your reticence to actually name them implies they have a somewhat negative reputation, I presume. That said, I almost immediately dismissed them based solely on Amazon reviews.

Actually, after poking around the Smithy site, I found the Midas, which seems within my budget.

Actually if you had read the sticky with posting guidelines you would know the reason for no G word, I don't think you are supposed to be discussing the Smithy on these forums either.
James

First you will need to fill out a Form 1, Get finger prints done, have your photo taken, and have your Cheif Law Enforcement Officer sign off on the form and submit it to ATF with a check for $200. This will allow you to make the one suppressor listed on the form. You stated you are not going to do this commercially so do not get a Class 2 manufactureing licence. It will cost you about $4500/year for all the federal licencing. This is what I pay every year. Approval time on forms is currently running 6 months and it is about to get longer since a number of states are passing laws which makes hunting game with suppressors legal.

When making the suppressor do all the threading on the lathe with a single point cutter, do not use taps or dies they are not accurate enough to keep the threads in line with the bore. Everything need to be extreamly straight or you will get baffle strikes. I drill my .22 cores with a .250" dia drill then ream them with a .252" dia reamer. Remember the tighter the bore the more gas will get stripped off, the quieter your suppressor will be. A .75 dia. suppressor is to small use at least a 1" dia. Remember volume is king when it comes to good suppression.

Look at good used equipment. Sometimes you can get good deals on it. Practice a lot before you make the tube. Once you make and engrave the tube you can not remake it or modify it much or it is concidered making a new suppressor and you will need to submit new paperwork and pay another $200.

Richard Hoffman
Master Gunsmith

BWE Firearms
Longwood, FL
407-592-3975
NFA (Class 3) gunsmithing and Custom NFA Items from BWE Firearms
[email protected]

Actually if you had read the sticky with posting guidelines you would know the reason for no G word, I don't think you are supposed to be discussing the Smithy on these forums either.
James

I've found the sticky you referenced in the General forum. I suppose I should go ask my question on a hobbyist forum.

First you will need to fill out a Form 1, Get finger prints done, have your photo taken, and have your Cheif Law Enforcement Officer sign off on the form and submit it to ATF with a check for $200. This will allow you to make the one suppressor listed on the form. You stated you are not going to do this commercially so do not get a Class 2 manufactureing licence. It will cost you about $4500/year for all the federal licencing. This is what I pay every year. Approval time on forms is currently running 6 months and it is about to get longer since a number of states are passing laws which makes hunting game with suppressors legal.

When making the suppressor do all the threading on the lathe with a single point cutter, do not use taps or dies they are not accurate enough to keep the threads in line with the bore. Everything need to be extreamly straight or you will get baffle strikes. I drill my .22 cores with a .250" dia drill then ream them with a .252" dia reamer. Remember the tighter the bore the more gas will get stripped off, the quieter your suppressor will be. A .75 dia. suppressor is to small use at least a 1" dia. Remember volume is king when it comes to good suppression.

Look at good used equipment. Sometimes you can get good deals on it. Practice a lot before you make the tube. Once you make and engrave the tube you can not remake it or modify it much or it is concidered making a new suppressor and you will need to submit new paperwork and pay another $200.

Richard Hoffman
Master Gunsmith

BWE Firearms
Longwood, FL
407-592-3975
NFA (Class 3) gunsmithing and Custom NFA Items from BWE Firearms
[email protected]

And honestly, it is probably a good investment to BUY a suppressor which comes apart for cleaning first, a lot of R&D went into making that, and you have some basis for comparison. Then take off with your own ideas based on seeing one that works well up close first.

One does not for sure need to spend 4500 a year, people do file for exemptions from ITAR for items they wish to mfg, if you can do that and stick to mfg of those items, ITAR is not due for your company, then it is only $500 a year for the SOT and $150 every 3 years for the FFL.

Bill

Back