What's new
What's new

Has anyone read Mark Stratton's...

hi-vel

Plastic
Looking for input on Mark Stratton's book on machine setups for custom riflemakers- Anyone purchased it, and if so, what was your impression for quality and info? $75 taps my book budget a little hard, so I wanted to know if it was worth it.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

I think it is definately worth $75. You will pick up a lot of good tricks. There are very good photos also. The only drawback is that the drawings are not very good, you can get the info you need but they are not easy to read. I wish Mark would re publish it with professional drawings.

Marks Book is well worth the asking price

I bought his book and had the pleasure of running into him at the airport leaving the Shot Show a few years back. We ate a burger and talked for about an hour.
he is very knowledgable and friendly.
The only error I found in the book was he gave credit to Dave Manson for some piloted tooling. I already had the tooling and had bought it from Dave Kiff. I called Manson and asked about purchasing the same tooling as seen in Mark's book and Manson told me he did not make that type of tooling. I would not consider this a deterent from buying the book.

If $75.00 for a book is going to bust your budget you are in the wrong business or hobby.

I have an extensive collection of Gunsmithing/Machining books. Many were written between the turn of the century up until the 1950s. I have seen these books going for less than $20.00 and some for several hundred dollars. Often you get what you pay for.
Nat Lambeth

Nat,
Could you give us the ISBN number for the book, or at the very least the name of the publisher, please.

I've run several searches for the book using Mark Stratton's name, and I come up with all sorts of wonderful titles, but nothing anywhere close to the book you are praising.

Thanks

Found the title of the book, and a apparently his website, but the website doesn't work, and I couldn't find the book with a google search:

"Tricks of the Trade: Custom Rifle Metalsmithing"

If anyone finds the book for sale, please post where it is, here. Thanks -John

The book is only available from him I believe. I don't beleive it is published. I purchased it a few years ago and it is loose leaf in a folder. His website doesn't work. If you go to the American Custom Gunmakers Guild website you can get his phone number from the member list.

I think I remember reading that Mark had some severe health issues a few yrs. ago, he was supposed to be on the mend, but he kind of disappeared from the forums. I think the book was a one time limited print run, and I doubt there any more to be had unless you find one used.
James

I searched Amazon.com without luck. I'll have a play with abebooks, but it doesn't look hopeful.

If anyone has a copy and is in touch with the guy for copyright, I would be interested in buying a scan.

A thread ressurection in process...

Here the book is for sale again...

Custom Rifle Metalsmithing Book - Topic Powered by Social Strata

..from the post...
Gentlemen,

Yesterday I reordered the 7th printing of my book "Tricks of the Trade, Custom Rifle Metalsmithing". It should be ready in 3 weeks. It's been 2 years since I sold out the 6th printing and there is still a lot of interest in the subject. The price has gone up a bit, the new price is $80 a copy with $10 shipping, $30 to Australia and Europe.

If you would like to order a copy, you can do it by credit card or personal check. The phone number and address is:

Mark Stratton Gunmaker
PO Box 91
Marysville, Washington 98270

Phone: 360-657-7141

I was gonna order and saw the thread on PM and figured others would want to know.

The book...

Yes I'm alive and well. The last printing sold out in early in 2008 and sales were starting to slow a bit. But since then I have received a call about once a week looking for a copy. I had another printing done late last year so they are once again available. The readers over at AR purchased about 50 percent of the printing. If you would like to read a review, the folks at AR discussed it quite nicely. Machinist Work Shop and Precision Shooting also printed a review and rated in highly.

The only change from the information above is that shipping out of the US has changed. I hope that of you guys who have purchased a copy are enjoying it.

One other note, the recession of 2008 put me out of the gunbuilding business. Orders stopped coming in and orders on the books were being pushed back. Im now a tool maker, building tools for testing and constructing rocket engines to reposition satellites. Go figure..

Mark Stratton

Does anyone know Marks email address? I've sent a PM but he might not look in his box to often.
Garry

Nearest I can tell he does not have email, or does not answer.

I ordered the book today, talked with his wife on the phone as Mark was at work. He is in the Seattle area.

Since you are Down Under, let me know if I can be of help, I could call and find the total cost for shipment to Australia.

From Mark's site:

"Tricks of the Trade" can be yours for $80 plus $10 Shipping and handling. US funds
Send check or money order to:

Mark Stratton Gunmaker, P.O. Box 91, Marysville, WA 98270

If paying with credit card call: (360)657-7141 - pacific time

All major credit cards accepted (Visa,MC,American Express,Discover)

Shipped USPS Priority Mail.

Back