What's new
What's new

Hello! need hepl wiht Jet 1340

xmedicmanx

Plastic
Hello. I'm new to the craft, have only chambered and cut a few rifle barrels thus far and this weekend I bought an older Jet GHB1340 for a thousand bucks. I still have the thing on a pallet. I need to get it off, level it and then probably change the oil. it hasn't been used in 3 years. the dials/knobs are tight with little/no slop. the headstock needs some oil added.

how do I change the cutting speed to cut say 2 metric? there are two knobs on the bottom of the head stock and the manual say to move them to change gears so to speak, but the can be pulled and dropped down but I cant seem to slide them laterally... is there a trick to this?

Any and all help is appreciated.

Old dried oil on the shafts the levers slide side to side on. Use brake clean followed by ATF or penetrating oil not WD40!! Metric you will need to change some gears on the left end. Should be able to down load the manual from Jet,and buy the needed gears from them.

The Jet 1340 manual shows how to set the controls for threading on pages 13 and 14. NOTE that metric threads must be cut leaving the half nut closed and moving back and forth by reversing the spindle. It looks like you can cut metric threads without buying any additional gears.

NOTE that metric threads must be cut leaving the half nut closed and moving back and forth by reversing the spindle

Not, strictly speaking, necessary. You only need to be able to return to original geartrain geometry. Leaving the half-nuts closed is probably the easiest way, but it introduces all kinds of other requirements (like thread reliefs and having a good brake) that make it hard to get a decent thread.

The Jet 1340 manual shows how to set the controls for threading on pages 13 and 14. NOTE that metric threads must be cut leaving the half nut closed and moving back and forth by reversing the spindle. It looks like you can cut metric threads without buying any additional gears.

Got em moving thanks. I used brake cleaner, followed by PB blaster. I then used a punch, tapping lightly on the area near the shaft that they ride on and they broke loose.

So I talked with Jet and there are no gear changes necessary for going to the pitches I'll be doing thank goodness. this is different from the 1340A that I've used. I did an Accuracy International barrel that required a 2 metric thread and I learned the hard way about leaving the half nut engaged. One set-back later....

Back