What's new
What's new

Help Identifying a old rifle.

MK Proto

Hot Rolled
Need some help identifying this old rifle. This was my gramdmas old deer rifle. My grandpa does not remember much at 90. Looks to me like a mauser 98 action but until my brother removes the rear sight mount xant see the stampings. IMG_3589.jpg
IMG_7602.jpg
IMG_3591.jpg

Your picture-taking skills and firearm knowledge are somewhat sketchy, but you appear to have a sporterized 98 Mauser, possibly a 1909 Argentine. If it was done by a real gunsmith, it should have the caliber stamped on the barrel near the front ring. Depending upon the materials and workmanship, plus condition, it may be worth as little as $150, or as much as $600. It appears to be chambered for 257 Ackley, which is a modification of 257 Roberts, which can also be fired safely in your gun. Regards, Clark

Last edited:
Well being I did not take the pictures I will let my brother know when he geys back from vacation to remove the rear sight mount dont have any better pictures. Second I already did mention a 98 mauser action. Yes it is a .257 Ackley improved yeah 40 degre head angle all that fun shit. I can also tell you being the poor shot I was at 12 this gun would hold less than 1moa with a 12 year old shooting it. Yeup dont know the rifle but the damn thing is this is not in my hands at the moment hence the question. Ohh i love to fire form brass.

So all is solved. It is a K98 mauser from ww2.

If truly made DURING WW2, (and it may not have been..) check the 3-letter arsenal code. Look that up - it is online somewhere.

Been more than half a century since the family moved-on to US-made long guns, but IIRC, 'byf' was on the '98's we chose to KEEP. Anything else was traded early-on.

Bill

With the little that can be seen of the receiver ring markings, the marking is either 'Waffenfabrik' or 'Warsaw'. I lean toward the latter due to the size of the font of the 'WA', and the serial; an Imperial gewehr 98 with these markings would have either commercial BUNG proofing or Imperial eagle proofing, along with a "Gew.98" side rail marking.

If Nazi-era Kar98k, the 3 letter code & date would not be visible due to the scope mount. There would also be an obvious Nazi eagle proof marking next to the serial, and a "Mod.98" side rail.

If a commercial German export, it would have extensive side rail markings of the manufacturer; the top receiver ring would be reserved for a country or military crest.

I am guessing it was a Polish Wz.29 made in Warsaw. The side rail markings (or lack thereof) and right side receiver markings would help give a more positive ID. Better images than what are shown would help too.

At any rate, it is obviously a 98 large ring action.

P1010007.jpg

I suspect that if you remove the scope mount on the receiver ring, you'll find the below marking. The below image is a small ring 98 action, but this same factory made a large ring action. Image copied from gunboards.com

PictureWEBLEY208.jpg

I suspect that if you remove the scope mount on the receiver ring, you'll find the below marking. The below image is a small ring 98 action, but this same factory made a large ring action. Image copied from gunboards.com

View attachment 170474

I think you found a winner. I will know here shortly as it is being shipped out this week. I did speak to my grandpa but at 91 does not remember everything but he was saying it was a WW1 action that he sporterized and re-barreled in the 60's and he would like to go fishing soon. :D he could not get off the fishing topic so I left it at that.

So Just an update. Rifle came in, and it is a PFK Warszawa 1930. With a Douglas barrel. Could have bought a new rifle for all the shipping and transfer fees lol. Did have to clearance the bolt as it was slightly hitting the scope. Will get it out in a few weeks and see how it shoots after 25 years.

So Just an update. Rifle came in, and it is a PFK Warszawa 1930. With a Douglas barrel. Could have bought a new rifle for all the shipping and transfer fees lol. Did have to clearance the bolt as it was slightly hitting the scope. Will get it out in a few weeks and see how it shoots after 25 years.

Who'd've thought the user named "Gewehr 98" would have guessed right :D

Glad you got it ID'd. FWIW, Polish made stuff is high quality, and on par with German made rifles. IIRC, Poland got the Danzig (now Gdansk) factory after WW1 as reparations, and used the German pattern of manufacture for their service rifles. Kind of a shame that this was sporterized, as original Polish rifles are pretty scarce in the collector market.

Gewehr I agree. I read there are not a lot of 1930 Warszawa rifles made. I decided to check the barrel for free float. None. Took it apart and with a .25" wide shim .002 thick, it makes contact on both sides of the barrel the entire way down the stock. It has a Bold trigger. My brother fire form 80 factory roberts rounds in it which look pretty good. The bolt is only engaging 1 lug. I did not check this with a spring loaded part but going to figure that I am going to have to face the action and lap the lugs in, then trim the barrel slightly and re ream the chamber to get the head spacing back.
20160706_130847.jpg20160706_130855.jpg1467825862833[1].jpg1467821323426[1].jpg

... I am going to have to face the action and lap the lugs in ...

Don't get carried away with this as Mausers are surface hardened, not through hardened. Not too hard to cut through the case.

That bolt has as much if not more bearing than a lot of factory Rem 700's that shoot just fine. Looks full on one side and 30% on the other. I'd leave it alone and lap it in by using it.

Back