What's new
What's new

Heritage Rough Rider finish removal

ulav8r

Cast Iron
I need to remove the painted finish from the barrel and cylinders of the above handgun. Due to water damage, part of the finish has flaked off and some of the rest of it has rust coming through the finish. I want to polish and reblue, but think that polishing the finish off might not give an even finish at the point where bare metal is against the paint.

Not sure if a painted gun would be worth the effort, but brake fluid used to be a good paint softener/remover. It should not corrode the steel parts, you may need to fabricate a plastic tool to scrape the softened paint in hard to reach areas. Like they always say, try it on a small are first and see if it works worth beans before treating the whole thing. You may find some aluminum parts that are anodized, I do not think brake fluid would hurt them, but you know about trying first in a small hidden area.

You could try putting it in a bath of Evapo-Rust. It will definitely take care of the rust and if the paint has any iron oxide in it (most likely) it will cause that to disintegrate as well.

FWIW

-Ron

Thanks for the suggestions.

Turns out it was not a painted finish. The surface flaked off in the damaged area, leaving a distinct shoulder next to the undamaged area. I ended up drawfiling the edges of the undamaged area to smooth out the profile, then polishing.

Back