What's new
What's new

hi-power barrel relining ?

gabriel7384

Plastic
Gents,

I need some help on a project. I read some articles about the recently-developped .22TCM 9R and I have a project hi-power laying in the shop. I am wondering if it would be possible to reline the 9mm barrel to use the .22TCM 9R cartridge. I play with the work done by another member who relined his M9 to .30 Luger.

Any help welcome :-)

I wrote up my experiences a few years ago relining a Beretta 92 barrel. That locktited barrel is holding up very well with maybe 1000 rounds through it. I've done this as well with a 7.65 French Long (30 Peterson) and a Steyr Hahn in 9mm para, but with only maybe 100 rounds apiece through them.

I bought a Rock Island 22 TCM rifle a month ago, but the barrel is shockingly bad with reamer stop/start marks on the lands and very shallow rifling. 3-4" groups at best at 100 yards. I'll pull this barrel and convert it to 9mm one of these days.

It should be possible to convert a hi-power to 22 tcm, especially with a new standardized 22 tcm variant geared to 9mm length magazines.

Ammo Supply Warehouse is selling the bullets for $70/1000 making this a very attractive round to reload.

The best advice I got for functioning was grinding the factory spring on a taper to make a lower power variable rate spring. I did not try it as one of several Wolffe reduced power springs solved my functioning problems. Basically, to make a variable rate spring from the factory spring, put the factory spring on a 1/4" round mandrel and grind away at the outside of the spring against a bench grinder, controlling the spring spin with thumb pressure. Cut away maybe 1/2 or less of the spring thickness at one end tapering to 75-80% thickness on the other end. Polish the grind cuts to eliminate stress risers.

Back