What's new
What's new

Odd Barrel

speerchucker30x3

Titanium
OK, I have looked down a lot of pipes, and seen a lot of weird and silly crap, but this ? In thirty years of continuous gunsmithing I have NEVER seen this !

Attachments

• Gunsmith Rod Henrickson 02811.jpg
    Gunsmith Rod Henrickson 02811.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 452
  • Gunsmith Rod Henrickson 02812.jpg
    Gunsmith Rod Henrickson 02812.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 372
  • Gunsmith Rod Henrickson 02813.jpg
    Gunsmith Rod Henrickson 02813.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 603
Last edited:
Well as a rule they don't use CNC's to rifle barrels and this barrel is about about 60 years old, and yes it was made that way on purpose because its cut rifled. They would have had to have drilled and reamed and then gone in with either the narrow or wide rifling head and then replace that head with the other and re-timed it to engage properly to cut the two odd sized grooves. If something had slipped up then only one groove would be out to lunch and they most likely would have culled the barrel and re-drilled it or tossed it into the scrap. I thought for a second that they may have broken off a rifling head and replaced it with a wider one by accident but all of the guys I have ever watched cut have cut 12, 3, 6 and nine o'clock. Never 12, 6, 9 and 3. All in all, if it was some sort of covered up screw up, I think it would have been cheaper to toss it back for re-drilling. Damnedest thing I've ever seen.

Proved for smokeless powder. Wrong era. Plus its a 30-06, which again is WAY, wrong era. Belted balls were only used in muzzle loaders from the 1700s through late 1800s and very rarely. They were at best a novelty.

Well it was a long shot and you didnt really give out much information about them. Are you going to even try and do anything with this barrel? I cant imagine what, maybe Christmas fire pokers?

Charles

It's a Parker Hale Safari in 30-06. Its all 100% sporting rifle production and completely stock with all the correct proof marks just as it was when it left England in the 60s. There are no reclaimed military parts on the rifle. Also the grooves are half the depth of what are found on two groove barrels.

Note: Another odd thing is that irregularities are usually caught at the British Proof houses even if they slip through the cracks at the factories which makes it even more evident that it was produced like that on purpose. The British are rather anal about that sort of stuff.

I have heard a lot about PH hammer forged barrels but as I can recall the 1200s and 1200c's that I have examined were all cut rifled. Its easy to tell the difference. Cut or broached has the heavy tool marks running up and down the inside of the grooves. Buttoned or hammer forged does not, or has much less. Also the reaming rings are lost in button and hammer forging. Or near so. The photos below. One is a cut Winchester barrel and the other is a buttoned Gaillard. Its painfully simple to tell which is which when you magnify them several hundred times. To be honest I can accurately distinguish between Remington, Winchester, Weatherby and Ruger 70% of the time as far as the maker goes with the tools available to me. Not with most of the custom barrels unless they are marked. If you polished the name off a Hart and told me it was a Lilja I wouldn't be able to argue the point. Over the years I had to learn how to photograph barrels for warranty work. It's a pain in the ass the first 1000 times. Then it gets slightly less annoying.

Add Note: the two little spots in the Gaillard barrel appear to be inclusions in the steel as they would not brush out. They are actually smaller than a pin prick and are not visible with the naked eye.

Attachments

• Gunsmith Rod Henrickson win.jpg
    Gunsmith Rod Henrickson win.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 339
  • Gunsmith Rod Henrickson TG.JPG
    Gunsmith Rod Henrickson TG.JPG
    19.1 KB · Views: 354
Hi Spearchucker,if you go to `THE STALKING DIRECTORY` website theres a guy called Brithunter who knows quite a bit about parker-hale,he might be able to help,worth a try-glen

Hi Spearchucker,if you go to `THE STALKING DIRECTORY` website theres a guy called Brithunter who knows quite a bit about parker-hale,he might be able to help,worth a try-glen

Hi All,

I'm the proud owner of that strange firearm. I just started a new thread over on the UK forum. Thanks for the lead Glen.

Let's see if someone overseas can shed some light on this one. Interesting indeed! It's been fun trying to figure it out since 'speerchucker30x3' discovered it.

Cheers and Merry Christmas to all,

Back