What's new
What's new

OT- semi or revolver

tjd10684

Cast Iron
My friend and I have been having and E-Mail arguement since were both slow at work today. Anyhow he is looking to get a gun for target shooting. I said since I have a CZ 75 I am quite partial to that or a Ruger 22/45 (or mark 3). so rather than trying to edit the conversation ill just insert the snippets of relevant info

Him: So on a totally different subject, I'm going gun shopping this week. I'm looking for a semi auto .22 or a revolver under .40 with at least 4" barrel.

Me: cant say enough for a ruger 22/45 or mark 3 we shot over 5000 rounds without cleaning and no jams. what else can you want. the CZ 75 is another good one over 1000 rounds with out issue ammo is cheep for both.

Him: hate the ruger. Hate is too kind for how I feel about the one you have. I like the CZ though. If I could find a deal on one I would buy it.

There's a 357 I want and the best part of the 357 is that it accepts 38 specials too. The 38s is pretty comparable to a 9 in performance and is only a little more expensive. However, I don't mind paying a little more for the option to load 357s. Revolvers are much simpler to operate and that will make the wife happy. (this is where it starts)

The one I'm on the hunt for is the S&W 22 with a 7" barrel. It has target practice written all over it.

Me: not really. they may be mechanically simpler but the operation is no simpler and in fact may be more complex technically (if you include loading and unloading). plus the trigger pull on a double action revolver is really long and heavy. plus the fact that if you hold the gun wrong it WILL burn you. actually if she is going to shoot it you should let her try some before you buy one. I have always heard that a good caliber for girls is the 32 ACP with a bit more oomph than 22 but way less kick than a 45 or 9mm.

Him: As far as revolvers go I strongly disagree with you. She has shot both and loading 9mm's into a clip was much harder for her hands than sliding 38's into the drum. Loading and unloading is simpler on the revolver. There are more steps with a semi auto. Read some articles and you'll find revolvers are recommended to beginners. That includes her.

I've fired the 357 and the 38 special and I found the 38 to be comparable to a 40's and 9mm's I've fired in the past. 32's are actually more expensive than a 9mm and the 9 doesn't kick too hard for most women that are taught good shooting form. The wife was able to hold onto a 45 with no complaints, although I wouldn't want her to fire it fast.

Me: get what you like but i dont really care what the articles say. Its my experience that semi autos are just as easy and I have taught several girls to shoot them. i only had to show them once. with the little 22 revolver i would have to show them at least 3 or 4 times and its inevitable that they hold the gun wrong and burn them selves. as for loading and unloading their is no unloading a semi. i would also wager that in general semis are more accurate then revolvers because revolvers can have axial mis alignment with the barrel semis can not.. you may get at revolver that is perfect and has great accuracy but you would not know that until you already bought it. i dont know man. i guess at the end of the day you probaly cant go too far wrong any way but revolvers to me are just blah. unless you want to be a cowboy

Him: I've had the opposite experience. There's more to explain with a semi, and everyone got the revolver the first time when my friends have shown them. People have to keep asking questions with semis. As for burning I've never had a problem and neither has anyone else I've just asked, you're the first I've heard of that. Personally I've used both without issue.

I would prefer the S&W .22 with the 7" barrel but I'm willing to get a revolver for the simplicity and reliability for wife's use. I've been looking into this for while, talking to people, online research, and looking at shops. People that have been shooting for longer than both of us have been alive combined, own both types, and shoot regularly will ask you the same thing they've asked me. If semi's are better in every way why do they still make them and why people want them? People don't buy them for nostalgia and aesthetics, they have their advantages. (this is where i call bull) I used to think semis were entirely better like you too until I took the time to learn about both.

Another advantage is the use of wadcutter rounds which are great for target shooting. Wadcutters aren't usable in most semis. I do like the ammo flexibility a lot and that's why I'll take a .357 if one pops up for a comparable price to the .22 semi I'm looking at. 38 specials are very comparable to 9's in every way including price. I do like that.

Me: I think that is EXACTLY the reason people buy them. I dont think their is a single military or police force in the world that has a revolver as standard issue at least a quick google search did not find any. I can think of an almost exact parallel people still buy black powder guns by your logic they should have some advantage because people still buy them. but can you think of any. modern clip fed guns shoot faster are more accurate faster to reload quicker lock time enclosed powder all weather performance. and thats just bolt action if you went to semi auto you can add in reduced recoil and greatly reduced time to target for second shot. Modern guns are better in literally every way to black powder but they are still made and sold PURELY for NOSTALGIA. back to revolver vs semi. a semi will have significantly more power if the ammo is the same. it is much easier to squeeze the trigger for successive shots on a semi. you only have to put the shells into the mag i would wager that 2 shooters that are proficient the guy with the semi would be able to get more rounds down range accurately faster than the guy with the revolver. how about increased magazine capacity there is another advantage. dont know if this is an advantage but variable magazine capacity. how about you know when your out without counting. That's about all I can think of right now but to me that's a pretty extensive list of reasons that revolvers ARE inferior. If you have any DEFINITIVE reasons why revolvers are better then by all means enlighten me. what it comes down to is if it has the features your looking for I cant force you not to. heck I'll ogle them right with you but I am under no misconception that they are BETTER because they are not. I think the best thing you can do is clearly define what exactly you want to do with it and get the one that meets your needs exactly for the best price. If your truly just looking for a target gun then a revolver might be the way to go but if you plan to use it as home defense it might not fit that bill quite as well. I know i would like a gun that i can use in IPSC competition as well as home defense. I know i like CZ75's and they fit my bill. A Glock would also fit that bill but i have to hold one before i buy it. The Colt 1911 would also fit this bill but again i would need to hold it to decide. Sig S&W and Baretta would also be up for consideration if the fit is good and the price is right.

So if you made it this far thanks for reading all that but now heres the .05 question who is right revolver or semi.

Revolver/Auto

Thats like asking which is better Ford Or Chevy

But if you want to know which 22 pistol in my opinion is best High Standard Victor ( Hamden ) hands down.

I got back into gun colleting a couple years ago. sold most of my guns when I moved to Florida. Decided to replace some of my favoites. Picked up a Browning Medalist , feels great in your hand pretty accurate.

Never owned a S&W 41 but read on line that is was most peoples favorite. Bought a couple. Good shooting piece, easy to take down but wouldn't handle cheap ammo ----

Hmmm , loved my old Colts, Bought a few. Good shooters, love the look. Pain to clean.

Baretta Neo, not impressed. Browning Buckmark OK.

Well, lets try something different. Walther GSP & OSPs now these are fun guns. I bought a used OSP round barrel in 22 short and it is like pointing your finger and the bullets go exactly where you point.
They are a modular gun and take down in a flash.

Then I heard hammerli 208s best 22 made ----

I will take my old HS Victor everytime, eats Federal bulk ammo crisp light finger pull and for me almost as accurate as the walthers.

Long enough answer ?

Cheap accurate 9mm, try a used later model P38 !
Rick

Back