What's new
What's new

Hi-Standard HD-Military Takedown?

garyphansen

Titanium
Can anyone tell me how to field strip a a High Standard HD Military .22 Auto? I done one before but it has been about 35 years and I have forgotten how. Plus this one has had about 1000 bricks (just guessing) through it without anyone cleaning it so it may be too gummed up to dissemble without using force and I do not want to do it wrong and break something. Thanks, Gary P. Hansen

I would start by removing the grips, then liberally spraying WD-40 on it to soften the accumulated crud, cleaning it off several times maybe until it moves freely. That should make disassembly less of a task. If it is one of the models with the pushbutton beneath the barrel, I would bounce the button with a plastic hammer to loosen it, then press it against the edge of a table to depress it and remove the barrel. The rest is pretty straightforward once the barrel is off.

http://img.ph

Hope this photo comes through. I do not know why they need to keep changing the way photobucket works when ever I the used to using it!

The photo is of the High Standard HD Military in question. Beautiful read painted grips and all. It is not one of the models with a push button under the barrel. I do not remember what the lever under the slide to the rear of the hand grip is for, or the button at the top of the hand grip, or even the button at the top of the slide. Safety is on the other side. Gary P. Hansen

I can tell you exactly how. Went through years off-and-on of pulling out my hair over supposed "experts" telling me, "dissembling it will only contribute to unnecessary wear, you don't need to do that" all because they were too arrogant to admit they couldn't figure it out.... so, I finally figured it out on my own one night.

(Mine's not in front of me at the moment, so scrutinize me extra careful on what I'm saying if something seems off). On top of the slide is a little button. On the right side of the frame is a lever. You don't want to get this out of order because what I've later read you can actually filp a part internally and the only way to then get the slide off is to start cutting.

Pull the hammer back fully cocked just to make things easier. Pull back the slide, depress the little button on top, and release the slide. The slide should now be held open on its own. Now, push down, and continue to hold down, the lever on the right side of the frame. You'll see the slide move forward slightly and then pull the side to the rear and it should come right off.

With the slide off DO NOT DROP THE HAMMER if you don't need to. It will overtravel and the plunger will pop out. If you do this, you will be inventing new words to express your frustration.

Let me know how it works out. I still have an issue with mine and would love to compare notes.

-Walter.

Hs hd

From the looks of the picture the side lever has been pushed down already.
Out of sequence. Cock the hammer ( MAKE SURE UNLOADED) If the lever is loose and the slide pulls back with no rough resistance pull the slide back and push the button on top and hold it down and push slide forward. It should be free with no spring tension Hold lever down and pull slide off the rear. To reassemble you will need to capture the recoil spring under the stop activated by the button on top. With a slim pin punch push the follower and spring from the back of slide forward into the hole and you will see the finger that the button pushes down and traps the spring in the forward position.
DO NOT PULL BACK THE SLIDE WITH THE LEVER IN THE DOWN POSITION WITHOUT THE SPRING CAPTURED OR YOU WILL! DESTROY THE RECOIL SPRING!! :bawling:
To reassemble with the spring trapped forward slide the slide on the frame and hold the lever in the up position and pull the slide to the rear. The slide should have spring action now. Check the spring and plunger on the lever that holds the lever up stretch it if necessary.
Hope this works out. You can call me @704-363-1428 if you need any other help.
Chuck :cheers:

Last edited:
Say Gary, below are pictures of my H-D Military. I'll bet the grips on your will clean up nicely with the right use of some chemical stripper.

From the looks of the picture the side lever has been pushed down already.

Mine is the same way. The key slot is worn on the inside (or maybe a little sloppy from the factory) and they just have several degrees of movement before being pushed down. As a result, when mine is pushed down, it goes to nearly the 6 o'clock position.

Thanks, I got it apart, cleaned and back together. Now it even works! Any guess why anyone would paint the walnut grips red? Gary P. Hansen

Perhaps some underlying damage, like paint spatter they didn't know how to get off, so they just covered it up. That, or maybe some kid trying to mimic something seen in a comic book.

Congratulations on getting it apart and back together. Did you run some rounds through it? I have cycling problems with mine and would love to talk to a Hi-Standard owner that has been through the same.

Hi, Just joined this site. I also have a Hi Standard Military HD and would be interested in corresponding on your cycling issue.

Let me know exactly what is happing, sequence, and maybe we can discover the problem.

Back