What's new
What's new

Sheldon Lathe

lrivard

Plastic
There is a possibility I may be able to bid on a Sheldon lathe, model GR 60 P, which is a 15x48 i believe. How suitable would this be for hobby gunsmithing?

Sheldon has a pretty good rep, and the size sounds about right. Some older lathes have a small spindle hole, I would check and look for 1 3/8 minimum through hole. James

The Sheldon lathes are excellent machines, a cut above Southbend, and suitable for production work.

I am not familiar with the GR designation. Perhaps it refers to gearhead. I have cataolg listings for the Sheldon R 60 lathe, which is a gearhead 15" swing, 30" between centers.

It has flame hardened ways and hard chrome plated cros slide dovetails and ways. It is a D1-6" mount with 2-1/4" through the headstock.

Assuming it is in acceptable condition, it should be an excellent gunsmithing lathe.

I have a sheldon 15x40 7hp great lathe for general work but the head stock is to long for most barrel work. I use between centers

Your model maybe different, worth checking
Larrys

I remeber Sheldon lathes as they were made not far from my home. I believe it was about 4400-4500 west somewhere on the northewest side of Chicago. I had their catalogs around 1961. I was a model airplane builder who had delusions about making certain engine parts. A friend, who went on to become a chemist, said he wouldn't want to own a lathe with a name like "Sheldon". It sounded too Jewish. Nonetheless it seemed to be a well made machine.

Irivard, there is a Sheldon Lathes group on Yahoo and a second one (also on Yahoo) for posting pictures, scanned manuals, etc. They are a pretty laid back group and one of the mainstays is a gentleman named Knox who was an employee of Sheldon and is quite knowledgeable about the various models, etc.

Froggie

Sheldons were made on Knox ave. just west of the Kennedy expressway in Chicago. I have 11" swing ws-46p Sheldon from '57. Great for my home work.
Check out the Yahoo group, John Knox lives in my neighborhood and was a long time employee. Lots of good insight and advice, really nice guy.
Good luck!
Pete.

Don't let a long headstock scare you out of chambering in the chuck, there are several workarounds for this, and you can cut as accurate a chamber as anyone else. James

If you are threading and chambering a rifle barrel, the long headstock is a great advantage! Just use a "cathead" or outboard chuck to steady and true the barrel through the headstock. Now the barrel is running exactly on center with the spindle and threading and chambering occur right by the chuck. This is a Good Thing! ;)

Froggie

I bought one as a first lathe, unless you are experienced I would not buy a used old lathe.

I had to make a change gear from scratch for mine due to a broken tooth. Luckly I found a gear that I could modify to fit.

Take someone with you who can evaluate the old lathe. DONOT buy it unless you can hear it run under power.

The name Sheldon is of Anglo-Saxon origin. The first part of name is derived from Old English word Scylf meaning Shelf and second part is derived from Old English word dun meaning hill.

The sheldon R lathes where made in 13" 15" &17" sizes. They are not a gear head lathe but they have a 4 speed gear box mounted to the motor in the base of the lathe and back gears in the head stock gaving 8 speeds. They are a well built machine. The weak point is the feed box it has a little decal on it about 3/8"X2" ( dont shift while motor running ) my lathe is like new but the feed box is dead it has about 8 gears that are bad and it is very copleax gear box with 2 round plates with a lot of gears mounted on them, dont BUY the lathe with out checking out the feed box. just the in put gear from sheldon is about $800 and its mate is $400 I bought the lathe broken. Ken

Back