What's new
What's new

How would an ar15 ban work?

lowCountryCamo

Stainless
Looks like they are going to ban ar-15s. How would that work? I bought a Daniel Defense about 1 year ago as a Katrina type survival riffle. Would this ban be focused on manufacture or possession? I better go ahead and buy a couple more mags and maybe a extra bolt. I could probably make anything else that goes wrong. I don't really remember the Brady Bill as I was just a pup back then.

In order to ban assault weapons, our congress would have to pass a law. That means they would have to do something. I wouldn't worry.

Not meaning to get off topic but as for the extra bolt, You may want to consider a new barrel. When Daniel Defense started building rifles they bought two wore out barrel machines and crashed both on the first day. The result was having to outsource the barrels. They ordered from ER Shaw who ordered them from Definitive design in Brunswick GA who had them made in Guangzhou China. When they had the barrel nuts made several where over hardened and when the destructive testing was performed 1 in 8 cracked. Several thousand made it out before the problem was found and it was swept under the rug. I know this because I place the order and delivered them to DD.

Back on topic, I dont think congress would or could pass an all out ban on assault rifles or pistols as it would be devistating to the economy not to mention the possibility of a public uprising. However, they could reinstate a bill like clinton did but make it permanent. Hillary has been trying to push through a huge tax hike on ammo for years and now she has enough support to get it done. Magazines and Ammo are going to sky rocket quick.

When Daniel Defense started building rifles they bought two wore out barrel machines and crashed both on the first day. The result was having to outsource the barrels. They ordered from ER Shaw who ordered them from Definitive design in Brunswick GA who had them made in Guangzhou China. When they had the barrel nuts made several where over hardened and when the destructive testing was performed 1 in 8 cracked. Several thousand made it out before the problem was found and it was swept under the rug. I know this because I place the order and delivered them to DD.

I have a DD. How would I go about determining if my rifle was defective, if I could.

Tom

Somebody needs to construct a Venn Diagram of the various factors and decide whether or not a simple banning of the weapon is an effective remedy.

Let's see.

Young kid, (under 35?)

Able to purchase and possess several hundred rounds of ammunition, able to have delivered to their residence.

Able to purchase high capacity clips, clips which have zero tracebility (so you can't shame a straw party purchaser).

Able to purchase and possess multiple handguns, and multiple long guns.

This would apply to Charles Whitman, the Columbine shooters, the Aurora shooter, the Newtown shooter, etc.

We prohibit anyone under 35 years of age as President, because of the great and grave responsibility, right?

Why not craft a law that prohibits this apparently deadly combination of youth, high capacity magazines, multiple semi-automatic weapons and huge quantities of ammunition?

For example, anyone under 35 can possess a maximum of one semi-automatic weapon, either long gun or hand gun, but only one.

Serialize the high capacity magazines for tracing (and shaming) anyone who sells or buys a high capacity magazine that ends up at a crime scene.

As far as entry to schools, $60,000 will have Hamilton Safe come out and install an "airlock" system integrated with a metal detector; you set off the detector, you can't get in the bank (or school).

For example, anyone under 35 can possess a maximum of one semi-automatic weapon, either long gun or hand gun, but only one.

Once we start dictating who can own what and how many we will have become nothing more than a third world dictatorship.

The Second Amendment of the United States Constitution reads: "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Shall not be infringed" and note "Arms" being more than one. We can not let the government take away our rights. Once it starts we will lose everything, Freedom of speech, Right to assemble, once we lose that we might as well hand the flag to the illeagals.

tim.jpg

Essentially this is the same as " Guilty or Not, He's black enough! " they want to make it seem like they did something to solve it, which won't solve a damn thing, but a lot of people want revenge, and those guns are black enough and so are gun owners. When the story first broke out he had apparently been found with 2 pistols, and the AR was in the trunk of the car, and now it seems the story morphed into the whole shooting being done rambo style with the "assault rifle"... maybe twisting it to fit the agenda, as there is no such thing as proper story reporting clearly. Huge effing mess.

Now one aspect is that considering the number of gun owners in the US, and that Obama somehow was elected twice it means that a lot of gun owners did vote for him. So if they push the issue much and piss of millions more americans over this, including the thousands who would lose their job, what are the odds that party ever get re-elected. Chances are that a lot of promises will get thrown around as usually, but hopefully as always very little will change, hopefully for you guys.

Canada when through this after the polytechnique shooting in 89, suddenly all firearm owners became criminals, and we are still criminals with a license to temporarily break the law. Which can be revoke at anytime for any reason, none of which are clarified legally as its at the discretion of the CFO of each province, some better and some worse than others, some that even go again given court orders to issue what was requested.

It's a silly emotional response, nothing more. The best way Ive found to fight these simpletons is to offer to take them shooting. Once they realize a gun can be used outside the setting of violence it clicks.

They're just too stupid to realize that otherwise.

I think having mandatory basic training, even if just 3 months, would solve a lot of social issues and help a lot of the 18-19yr old kids get a little clarity life wise. Educate people about firearms safety and basics, and also teach them to show up on time, that could be useful to a lot of employers later on...

As George Carlin said, " think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of them are even stupider than that. "

Couldn't agree more. Graduate high school on Friday, grill out Saturday, report to MEPS on Sunday evening.

Don't show? You're MIA and the MP's are looking.

The Obama that promised to do something about these out of control high capacity guns in the hands of American citizens is the same Obama that OKed "Fast and Furious". How many THOUSANDS of mexicans have died because of the guns that OUR government allowed into the hands of criminals?
i_r_

The pablum-puking liberals (and others) have been trying to ban "assault weapons" for quite a while now. I guess anything that looks modern military is now considered an "assault weapon". For the sake of all reason, a 12ga shotgun with a load of 00 or a deer slug is about as lethal as it gets. No one is talking about banning them! (yet) Unfortunately this unfortunate incident and a couple of others were done by idiots with "assault weapons" (probably because they saw them on TV and thought they were cool). Believe me, it broke my heart to hear of those poor kids dying because some asshole went wacko with a gun. Someone that should have never been allowed near a gun. I blame his mother, she should be banned for not beating him enough when he was younger to teach him that there are consequences to be paid for our actions! ! ! ! ! !

If someone gets killed with a hammer or screwdriver, should tools be banned? ? ? ? ? Guns don't kill people, people kill people! ! Short, sweet, and simple. "To disarm the people is to enslave them!" Yes, I am a gun owner and shooter. Part of the problem is the government's attitude that we are not smart enough to know what is and isn't good for us, so they will have to regulate it and make the decision for us. Not to mention that this whole thing has mecome a feeding frenzy for the news media. (who really control this country)

All of the worthless politicians are also now having a feeding frenzy on this as well. "Rattling their sabers" and leading with the battle cry "we need tougher gun control laws". Bullshit! ! ! ! ! We have some of the toughest gun control laws in the world, we just need to enforce the laws that are already on the books! The "enacting tougher laws" is just their way of making it look like they are earning their exhorbitant salaries!

I am not willing to give up my freedom or rights under the constitution of the United States for any reason whatsoever! They were drafted into our constitution to protect us from our own government!

I live about a 1/2 mile from where I went to high school. (I graduated 40 years ago this year.) There are 2 cops actually stationed at the school because of 2 gun-related incidents. We naver had that kind of shit when I went there. My weapon of choice was a fast right hand! Now, having to keep 2 cops at the school? ? ? ? ? ? ? The whole problem with those kids is that their parents didn't beat them enough to teach them right from wrong! I got my but blistered many times by my folks for doing stupid stuff, and I didn't turn out to become a mass murderer! I am (now that I'm older) actually glad they did it, because it taught me something.

My heart still hurts and was broken over the death of those children! My heart, and my prayers goes out to them and their parents! They have never even gotten to experience life yet. But.............I despise anyone who uses this event for their own (or political) gain!

Just my $.02 worth

Frank

It wont work......but a bunch of clowns will pat themselves on the back and try to convince everyone that it will. More smoke and mirrors just like everything we get from these idiots....from the top down.

You have to remember that the second this story broke the attention of the media immediately turned to obama and public representatives , senators etc , they are caught between a rock and a hard place and have to be seen to be "doing something". Also as a foreigner (i'm in ireland) can i ask why it seems to be mainly jewish people looking to ban guns in america ? Feinstein and mayor bloomberg amongst others seem to be very vocal, i don't mean this in a racist way but it is noticeable. Coincidence ?

Looks like they are going to ban ar-15s. How would that work? I bought a Daniel Defense about 1 year ago as a Katrina type survival riffle. Would this ban be focused on manufacture or possession? I better go ahead and buy a couple more mags and maybe a extra bolt. I could probably make anything else that goes wrong. I don't really remember the Brady Bill as I was just a pup back then.

The first AWB did not ban possession or sale of hicaps or "assault rifles". It banned new manufacture of the magazines, and had an easily-circumvented feature list that defined what an assault rifle was. I bought several AR's during the "ban" and tons of hicap mags for mini-14, M14, AR15, Glock... the price of the mags did skyrocket however.

Since then, the AR platform has become so ubiquitous that it can be bought in places like WalMart or Cabelas. With the wording of the Heller SCOTUS decision, that very ubiquitous-ness gives them some protection.

Some sort of political action towards hicap magazines seems most likely.

What would actually make sense would be to have a political conversation about the need for gun owners to properly secure firearms from minors. Not saying I support that automatically, but at least it doesn't infringe our right to possess, and would have prevented some of these school massacres.

Regardless, I don't think we'll actually see much legislation out of this tragedy. The Dem's know it's a third rail for them and they do like being in power.

If one reads what little we know about the shooter and his mother, it's pretty clear that his background was part of the problem:

Connecticut school shooting: the troubled life of Sandy Hook killer Adam Lanza - Telegraph

The Telegraph, like most UK papers, isn't likely to take a favorable stance on his staunch Republican "survivalist" pub-crawling mother who apparently owned the AR-15, the handguns and the high capacity magazines that Adam Lanza used to wipe out a kindergarden class. She put the guns in his hands (even knowing he was a bit off) and taught him to shoot them. All that per the article. It's hard to know the real circumstances, but if this kid had grown up obsessed with Lego Mindstorms, or even karate or bow hunting or a hundred other things than his mother's Bushmaster, the carnage might have been very different. My point is that there is a likely a sort of cultural background to this -- what we teach our kids and how we deal with their mental challenges -- matched right up against this kid's mental imbalance.

There are lots of good reasons why it won't be possible to take AR-15's out of the hands of every killer, prime among them the million plus that are already out there. There are equally good reasons why it won't be possible to have a "ban" on all our sociopaths and pyschopaths, given that there are about 6 million out there (at a rate of 2% of the population). However, it is absolutely shameful in my opinion for all parties to these disasters to spend 99% of their efforts deflecting responsibility and obstructing some sort of meaningful change.

To add just a ray of optimism, there are lots of cases where simply making access more difficult and changing the culture a bit (with, say, not selling and advertising cigarettes to kids, while raising their prices, and attempting to make smoking less "cool") have yielded meaningful improvements. As gun owners, we surely should be thinking and talking about how we become part of the solution.

Back