What's new
What's new

Milling with unusual machine

jodifu6274

Plastic
Hi ! I'm brand-new to the forum, and to machining. I recently bought a very old lathe, and I'm interested in doing some milling, either on it with an attachment, or on an inexpensive machine. My first task is doing an 80% AR receiver. What would I need to make this very uinusual machine work for regular milling?
Horizontal Milling Mach.110Volt/rotating center

The owner says that the head goes up and down and rotates, and the table on the right goes in and out, so it looks like the Y and Z axes are covered, but what would I need to add to get the X-axis?

This thread: http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/antique-machinery-history/milling-machine-what-217632/ I and others had seen that same Craigslist ad. Don't think anyone here was too certain what the original purpose of that machine was. To me, it "looks" like it was some type of specialized grinder (with some of the original parts gone). Maybe an automotive machine shop tool? Obviously the motor and mount are not original, probably scavenged off a washer or dryer. Can't really advise you.

Welcome jodifu6274. :)

Get the picture? Its a pile of junk, not a milling machine.

My personal opinion is that three times on the same little corner of the forum is way too much exposure for a nothing.

J.O.

Dear Jodi,
Please don't take this the wrong way. If you want to finish an 80% AR with the type of equipt you've shown us from CL. I think you might be better served by enrolling in your local Com. College or tech. school to learn what types of machines you would need to take on that project. I know you didn't come here to be slamed, but the people on this site are very good at what they do and are very helpful with giving of their knowledge to guide you in the right direction. Machinework is a very serious undertaking. We machine things that, if not done correctly can and will kill people. You need to find a gunsmith that can point you in the right direction so you don't get hurt or hurt someone else.
Rick Hinsen

Welcome jodifu6274. :)

Get the picture? Its a pile of junk, not a milling machine.

My personal opinion is that three times on the same little corner of the forum is way too much exposure for a nothing.

J.O.

Hi! I'm not sure what you mean; this is my first post. I had a feeling that this wouldn't be as useful as I was hoping it would be, but for the price, I figured it was worth asking. Actually, what I'll probably end up doing is using the lathe to build a Gingery mill. That would probably be a good opportunity to learn. Unfortunately, I probably won't have time to take classes any time soon; starting law school. I'm retired Navy, looking for new hobbies. As far as the AR, the lower comes with a Jig that allows you to finish it with a drill press, but much more time & patience is involved than doing it with a mill. Unfortunately, can't afford a decent mill any time soon (next 3-4 months).

You are in Connecticut, keep your eyes peeled for a real mill like a Van Norman #12. These are excellent mills and usually sell for only about three times the price of that weird thingy.

Hi! I'm not sure what you mean;

The reference to an overexposed nothing was to the fact that there are now three threads about that mis-labeled Craigslist machine.

I don't know anything about gunsmithing, but the time vs. money equation is pretty consistent. If you don't want to spend the big bucks, you better be patient. If you want it done quick then tools and equipment get spendy or you just pay someone else that has the tool.

If you've got the tools to finish it with the drill press then it will likely require less time am patience than finding and tooling up a mill. Why make a problem that doesn't exist?

Also, try some searches on this site. There are some ways to do limited milling on the lathe. Try starting here
http://www.practicalmachinist.com/v...our-south-bend-147978/index7.html#post1190516

Thank you very much for the advice, and the thread! I'll be keeping my eyes peeled for a Van Norman #12. I'm probably going to finish the lower with a drill press, but I'm definitely interested in doing limited milling in the lathe untill I'm tooled up on a good mill. I've been looking for threads (and any other references I can find) about milling with a lathe, and I missed the excellent one in the above link. Does anyone else know of other references to milling with a lathe? I'm going over to the gunsmithing thread to post a link and a question about finishing the lower with a drill press. Thanks again!

I saw that one. Would you say that that's a really good machine, and a good buy? Would it be easy enough to tool? I ask that because I recently saw an old Brown & Sharpe mill for $300 (I just missed it), but the guy who got there before me and bought it was saying that it had a very uncommon spindle.

I have read a number of posts on various gun forums about people using a drill press to finish an 80% AR lower. Unless they are only drilling holes using a supplied and dedicated fixture, I can't see how this is at all practical. Somehow I got the impression they were doing a little milling and we all know how that works in the usual POS import drill press. :skep:

I found references to this at CNC guns and tactical machining. Can you tell me where you found the others? At the TM site, one of the guys told me that they don't use side force on the end mill, they just plunge out the material between the drilled holes with it (a 2-flute). CNC Guns has a fixture that guides the drill: http://www.cncguns.com/projects/ar15lower80tutorial-2.html Nathan at TM says that I wouldn't need one of these top plate fixtures with their jig; I can just drill a bunch of 1/4" holes next to, but not touching, each other, then plunge out the material between the 1/4" holes. Here's his advice:http://www.tacticalmachining.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=184 Here's the TM jig: http://www.tacticalmachining.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=118
How would you do this, if you were limited to a drill press (it's going to be a few months before I can get a mill)? I know this is off-topic, so I'll stop with this post.

B&S #10 or larger is not
Depends on what you are referring to for machines. For instance, in the 1917 B&S catalog, all mills larger than "0" have at least a #10, the larger ones having 11 and 12.

1913 Cincinnati catalog starts at 10 and goes to 12.

1923 Cincinnati catalog starts at 10 and goes to 14.

This teeny little 1M in the '23 catalog has a 14 - Cincinnati's standard until the advent of NMTB tapers in spindles:

Cinc Mill pictures by johnoder - Photobucket

J.O.

Back