What's new
What's new

Install and Review of Lathemaster 5C Collet Chuck

Never heard of that brand. Most likely Chinese. I've got a Bison Set-tru almost indentical to that. You can dial that thing in to a zero runout quite easily.
Too bad the demonstrator was more concerned about his damn cigarette than what he tried to showcase.

Never heard of that brand. Most likely Chinese. I've got a Bison Set-tru almost indentical to that. You can dial that thing in to a zero runout quite easily.
Too bad the demonstrator was more concerned about his damn cigarette than what he tried to showcase.

Appreciate your encouragement Ray. The chuck is an import. And it is almost identical to the Bison. About 1/3 the price. Not of interest to an expert like yourself but then I was trying to encourage the aspiring gunsmith/machinist who cannot justify the finer things.

If you had not let yourself become distracted you would have seen that this chuck was very quickly dialed into near zero runout.

semper Fi,

wallyW

Well Gunny thanks for taking the time to video your purchase and showing its features. Video is not as easy to do as some would like to believe but in the end the content is important but how well that content is shown is how videos are judged. Keep it up, I am sure you will find ways to improve and thanks for sharing.

Charles

This appears to me to be the standard CDCO Chinese 5C collet chuck (about $139 from them, less back) with a recess for an extra deep register, and which provides for a Set-Tru-like function.

I routinely do this on my import chucks during the mounting process.

The Set-Tru-type adjusters on this example appear to be entirely hardened steel.

What I use for Set-Tru-type adjusters are set screws which have an integral brass insert, and it is the brass insert which presses on the register.

Nice post. Forget the bashers. It takes time, number 1, to put a video together. Takes guts, number 2, to hang out your ass online for all to see good bad right or wrong. I have posted sound advice online to others to only have the resident "gurus" of that particular forum rip me a new one because it wasn't done "their" way. And takes trial and error, number 3, to try. Kudos to you

Wally, I enjoyed your video. It encourages a ol fellow like me to look into doing it myself. I find we all have great stories and information to share with the younger people in our trade many of which have zero experience getting to use any manual machines and even getting paid for our skill in making parts. It is unselfish for us to be a little uncomfortable because we may feel nervous in sharing anything because we may think we are not good at transmitting what we know. I have come to the conclusion I will still try to help out just the same because that is what was done for me. Thank You sir. Go Marines!!!!!

I don't have any issues with the Chinese 5C collet chuck. It is well-designed.

My only gripe, and I admit is is a specific one, is the "nose" of the chuck appears to have not enough "meat" to machine a 2-3/16" x 10tpi Hardinge screw, or a 4º Hardinge taper, for application of Hardinge's various "pot collet" systems.

As it is, it does a VERY fine job of mounting and pulling 5C collets, of which I own a complete set by 1/64-th inch.

I don't have any issues with the Chinese 5C collet chuck. It is well-designed.

My only gripe, and I admit is is a specific one, is the "nose" of the chuck appears to have not enough "meat" to machine a 2-3/16" x 10tpi Hardinge screw, or a 4º Hardinge taper, for application of Hardinge's various "pot collet" systems.

As it is, it does a VERY fine job of mounting and pulling 5C collets, of which I own a complete set by 1/64-th inch.

Thank you Peter.

Semper Fi,

Wally

Back