What's new
What's new

Installing anchuntz rail into Manners fiberglass stock what end mill??

jakefreese

Hot Rolled
I have Anchuntz rails to put in two of my Manners fiber glass stocks. I need to cut a 1/2" wide 1/4" deep 12"long groove to place them. I have been told by one person carbide 2 flute, right spiral left cut is the best way to go. What do y'all use? I'm going to have to do this on my Bridgeport so max rpm is 2750.

Thanks!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I just use a carbide tipped router bit. The geometry on those cutters seems to work better than an endmill, though it was suggested to me to try a carbide high helix endmill for aluminum as well, but I have not done so.
Btw I believe that an anschutz rail is wider than 1/2, I have one I need to install in a walnut stock when I get around to it

Is it a regular or carbon fiber stock? If you call and talk to Tom Manners he will point you in the right direction. They are pretty helpful.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

These are both fiberglass stocks

I ordered a downcut endmill. I have to do this on my Bridgeport so I am limited to 2750 RPM. I dont think any of the fiberglass diamond cut will work, I dont think I have the RPM to handle it.

Good point on asking Tom, I need to check on the new stock anyway. T4A Carbon Elite with the mini chassis and built in barricade stop and tripod mount. We will see, I want to get these both installed this week.

What would be wrong with using a 1/2" regular HSS cutter?

I have not tried it, I would think as long as it is like new sharp it should do the trick. I wanted to hear from some others that may have done it. Downcut sounds the best as this would minimize de-laminations and fraying on the edge. I did get a message back from Tom Manners last night, He said they use uncoated micrograin carbide on the slower side. (did not specify down or up cut). They do add additional carbon fiber in the barrel channel to ensure the blind nuts are stable. Depending on price I may just ship the two stocks to them to install the rail. I could farm it out for the pro's and continue with some of my other projects. I still ordered a uncoated 2 flute downcut EM incase I end up doing it.

Back