What's new
What's new

Iver Johnson Repairs

Me239

Plastic
Hey everyone! I was wondering if anyone had some advice on repairing the threads on an iver johnson barrel. On the pistol, the cylinder is screwed in to the small threads on the barrel assembly (I can include pictures if need be). My question is whether or not it would be worth (or how) repairing the stripped threads, of if I should buy an entirely new barrel assembly. There are still some other problems I'm ironing out, but one step at a time. Thanks!

Hey everyone! I was wondering if anyone had some advice on repairing the threads on an iver johnson barrel. On the pistol, the cylinder is screwed in to the small threads on the barrel assembly (I can include pictures if need be). My question is whether or not it would be worth (or how) repairing the stripped threads, of if I should buy an entirely new barrel assembly. There are still some other problems I'm ironing out, but one step at a time. Thanks!

Iver made a lot of guns in a variety of calibers for a lot of years.
Some better and more valuable than others.

I am going to guess from the fact that the barrel is threaded we are talking about a solid framed revolver, rather than a break open or automatic design.

The decision to fix or replace will depend on a lot of factors.

1) Can you locate a replacement part and what does it cost?
2) Can you repair the existing part safely?
3) What is your time and effort worth?
4) How much are you willing to put into the gun?

A new barrel is the best avenue for a functionaly successfull repair.

However its not trivial and may create a few cosmetic problems.
A replacement barrel may not match in condition or finish of the rest of the gun.
It is likely that you will not simply screw in one and go.
Expect to "time" the threads by removing material from the barrels shoulder or from the face of the frame to bring the sights in alignment.
You should also assume the clearance between the cylinder and end of the barrel will also require work.

Timeing the barrel and fitting to the cylinder should also be expected if you atempt to repair the threads.
The only real option is to recut the threads to a smaller diameter, screw on a bushing and then thread the bushing to match the frame of the gun.
It may be necessary to open up the hole in the frame as well.
Unless you have a collection of unusualy fine taps, you may reduce the daimeter of the barrel to an unsafe state.
This will vary with caliber and wall thickness.

Photos would help.

Back