What's new
What's new

Jap machine gun firing pins.......

heckinohio

Aluminum
Over the years I have broken the tips off several firing pins. Jap machine gun parts a really hard to come by. I had a guy make me several. Have 6. I am about to use the first one.......he has since passed.

These have a Rockwell test mark on the sides. The tip is where the problem comes in. Following someones verbal instructions, I hardened home made ejectors for German MG 34, they were 4140. I made them my version of cherry red, swished them in some motor oil. Then & lightly (???) waved a flame over them for some reason. The originals didnt break, but seemed a bit short for a problem I was having then.........repops worked well.

Do all metals respond this after hardening "tempering"???. Is there a process where I can reasonably attempt to make the firing pin tips reliable with out knowing what the metal is???

Been gone for some time..... I have aged out & am having way more than a few health issues related to that. I have a million or more rnds of various mil. ammo & have determined to shoot whenever the weather will permit!!!

PJH

Over the years I have broken the tips off several firing pins. Jap machine gun parts a really hard to come by. I had a guy make me several. Have 6. I am about to use the first one.......he has since passed.

These have a Rockwell test mark on the sides. The tip is where the problem comes in. Following someones verbal instructions, I hardened home made ejectors for German MG 34, they were 4140. I made them my version of cherry red, swished them in some motor oil. Then & lightly (???) waved a flame over them for some reason. The originals didnt break, but seemed a bit short for a problem I was having then.........repops worked well.

Do all metals respond this after hardening "tempering"???. Is there a process where I can reasonably attempt to make the firing pin tips reliable with out knowing what the metal is???

Been gone for some time..... I have aged out & am having way more than a few health issues related to that. I have a million or more rnds of various mil. ammo & have determined to shoot whenever the weather will permit!!!

PJH

You just about need to know what the material is, heating and plunging in oil is claimed to harden but I have my doubts. I could make you more pins of known material properly heat treated in trade for some trigger time. Where are you? I am in marysville.

It would help to know what kind of metal you're working with, but unless you're prepared to have a "real" heat treat outfit do the job, there are only a couple things you can do, and you can test the results after a fashion. You can heat and quench in oil (I suspect odds are pretty good that your pins were made from 0-1: if you ask 4 out of 5 members would probably choose that). You could then temper them (waving a flame lightly probably didn't do a thing,generally you want to see a "straw" color start to come on the part) or try just hardening the tip. If that doesn't harden it, then you can try case hardening. The easy way is to get some case-hardening powder (Brownell's, etc).

GsT

OK.....things are looking up.......I am in SE Ohio, Gallipolis. Bob Evans lived here.

Make some...These are a bit complex. The pin body is about 1/4"d x 1 1/4" long w/two reductions in dia. The round body of the pin is part of a vertical stand w/foot that has some di-dos cut in it here & there to perform various functions involving timing of the release in conjunction with position of the op rod to which it is attached. I just looked for a picture of it....none.... The tips of these pins are a twice reduced diameter. They seem to be too hard, brittle.??? They break in the first reduction of diameter. Having Lugers, I am familiar with "straw" color although I can never get it as brilliant as the 1900 era German techs did.!!!!

Case hardening powder.......I didnt know such existed.......will check in w/local machine-shop guru, Barry, he is higher ranked man at local Toyota engine plant.

Impressive guns......have a bunch of them here, Donna owns several too.

PJH

Range officer Donna, started raining & she didnt get to shoot....hence the annoyed expression.

Gun room, S to N......

Same room..N to S......

Entry door display, Jap at top, MG 34 third down....

Work bench wall......

Really nice collection. If you want to drive to Louisiana with a pickup truck load of ammo and machine guns, I'm sure I could whip up a firing pin or two for you.

OK.....things are looking up.......I am in SE Ohio, Gallipolis. Bob Evans lived here.

Make some...These are a bit complex. The pin body is about 1/4"d x 1 1/4" long w/two reductions in dia. The round body of the pin is part of a vertical stand w/foot that has some di-dos cut in it here & there to perform various functions involving timing of the release in conjunction with position of the op rod to which it is attached. I just looked for a picture of it....none.... The tips of these pins are a twice reduced diameter. They seem to be too hard, brittle.??? They break in the first reduction of diameter. Having Lugers, I am familiar with "straw" color although I can never get it as brilliant as the 1900 era German techs did.!!!!

Case hardening powder.......I didnt know such existed.......will check in w/local machine-shop guru, Barry, he is higher ranked man at local Toyota engine plant.

Impressive guns......have a bunch of them here, Donna owns several too.

PJH

Range officer Donna, started raining & she didnt get to shoot....hence the annoyed expression.

You are nuts, don't post photos like that, some a hole will figure out where you are and rob your ass. I know you are armed and dangerous, You can take on 1 or 2 but what if they bring some help?

Last edited by a moderator:
that's what the MG 42 is for, hell get more like 200-300, they may overtake him when he has to change the barrel though.

You are nuts, don't post photos like that, some a hole will figure out where you are and rob your ass. I know you are armed and dangerous, You can take on 1 or 2 but what if they bring some help?
I have to agree with moonlight, this is the internet, amazing photos but it would be smart to take them down. Quick.

Most sites have a delete button...... Pictures are for sharing & encouraging......

There are countless videos & pictures all over the intnet that I have no control over. I have been at this since 1947.

PJH

Join the crowd.....I sold 15 guns in the late '80s in a squabble with the bank about a home improvement loan.

I got $44,000., cleaned house.......

Now any 2 of them would bring $44,000.

PJH

Wow!

Can I borrow one of the Maxim guns?

If you know the dimensions, make a pin out of impact resistant tool steel (S7? I'd do some research on this), harden the tip and then have it PVD nitrided. It would be very hard outside but also adds some lubricity to it.

I'm curious how many machine guns are owned by those biting their fingernails over the pictures.
Schmeisser, but that was a loooong time ago :(

If you aren't aware that people scan Craigslist and googlephotos for places to rob, well ... good luck ! :)

To remove, just go to the post, choose "edit" then remove the parts between the
tags. Or if it's a link, anything between the [url ... [/url tags.

If you want, that is.

Or you can tell any visitors to, "Meet my little friend !" :D

Back