What's new
What's new

JGS Floating Reamer Holder

Sierevello

Banned
Anyone have any comments of the JGS floating reamer holder or how it works? I thought I read somewhere that it accounts for radial and axial misalignment.

Thanks, Steve

Does anybody have a picture of one. I've been looking and haven't been able to find a picture. Eagle, Gre-Tan, home made I've been able to find but not this one.

Thanks
Fitch

JGS floating reamer holder

I have had one for about 5 years. I use it quite often. I bought the version with the Jacobs chuck. does a great job. no issues.

Below is JGS Floating reamer Holder in action.
Rustystud

Attachments

• FloatingReamerHolder.jpg
    FloatingReamerHolder.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 6,019
holder reamer

The holder allows the reamer to follow the hole straight in where as if one would not use one and if the tailstock was not on center the reamer would cut a tapered hole (bell mouth) reamers are made with very long shanks to compinsate for tailstock misaligment the farther back the tail stock this error decreases.

John

The holder allows the reamer to follow the hole straight in where as if one would not use one and if the tailstock was not on center the reamer would cut a tapered hole (bell mouth) reamers are made with very long shanks to compinsate for tailstock misaligment the farther back the tail stock this error decreases.

John

If a "gunsmith" is running a reamer in without knowing if his tailstock is aligned or not he is not much of a machinist/gunsmith to begin with :-).

Bill

floating holders

Hey! The floating holder was used most for the turret lathe set ups . Turrets aren`t always precise if the indexing pin had been worn a bit.

MC

Furthermore, even if the tail stock is in line how do you know that the hole down the barrel is true ? you don`t ! the steady rest and chuck are locating on the OD.of the barrel.which makes the floating holder applicable

MC

Furthermore, even if the tail stock is in line how do you know that the hole down the barrel is true ? you don`t ! the steady rest and chuck are locating on the OD.of the barrel.which makes the floating holder applicable

MC

If you know what you are doing, before the reamer goes in the hole you will have everything running straight and true, this is all in the setup, 90% of any job is setup, and this is very true of rifle barrels.

The GOOD guys who use a floating holder STILL have everything lined up well enough they could get away WITHOUT using one, they just prefer that little extra cushion to make things right.

Rifle barrels are not fit and chambered true to the OD of the barrel. If you want to use a steady rest (and many still do) you need to true the barrel OD to the rifled bore where the steady rest will run.

Bill

in line chamber bore

Bill,
Got a question for ya. What happens to the projection of the bullet if the chamber isn`t concentric with the musel bore ? since your one of the "good guys" you should know this answer.

MC

It accounts for axial misalignment only. The reamer end chamfer only pivots on a dead center, so as others have mentioned. Precise tailstock alignment is required.

The bald eagle holder floats all directions.

Ben

Back