What's new
What's new

Johnren Machinery?

skeeks

Aluminum
Edit: I went and looked at it today. It looks pretty good, but does have some minor issues. The (not sure if this is the correct terminology...) sheer pin for the lead screw is no where to be found and the tailstock's handle is broken. I ran it through just about every gear and they all worked great. Machine was not noisy and did not make any unusual noises. All the power feeds worked great. Opinions? I wondering if this is a smart purchase at less than 3k$ with tooling.
IMG_4500_zpsskqrfzhg.jpg

IMG_4499_zpsutpkmvw7.jpg

IMG_4498_zpsgebpd3cl.jpg

IMG_4497_zpsrgghrqku.jpg

I found a lathe that I am very interested in. It is a Johnren Machinery Industry Co. It looks to be a Taiwanese copy of a Clausing Colchester 15x50. The price is attractive. The gentleman selling said the previous owner (a friend of his that passed away) used to use it for barrel work which is my exact plan. He has stated he is only selling as he doesn't need a lathe that large, but everything on the lathe works as it is supposed to and it is in good condition. I hope to go check it out tomorrow. He also stated that he has all the paper from when the lathe was bought new for around 14k$. I was wondering if anyone could tell me anything about this lathe? Would it be a good choice for barrel work? It has a 3" spindle ID and will include some tooling. The model number is ML-1840. I have tried google and come up with nothing.

Attachments

• IMG_4500.jpg
    IMG_4500.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG_4499.jpg
    IMG_4499.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_4498.jpg
    IMG_4498.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_4497.jpg
    IMG_4497.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 119
Last edited:
Don't know if this is what you have but the model number matches:

Precision Lathe - Maximart Corporation - Taiwan Precision Lathe Manufacturer

I saw that when researching this lathe. It looks exactly like a Clausing Colchester. I'm not sure of the exact swing measurement, but I am going to look at it today.
I would assume a Taiwanese copy of that lathe would be of pretty good quality being what I am assuming is a high quality copy based on the original price of the machine. That said, not being able to find a single ounce of information about the machine on the interwebs that knows all, is a little concerning.

Check every headstock gear (speed) or open the headstock and inspect the gears to make sure there are no broken teeth. You don't want any surprises of this nature.

Check every headstock gear (speed) or open the headstock and inspect the gears to make sure there are no broken teeth. You don't want any surprises of this nature.

Thanks, I check the gears on the outside of the headstock and they were all good. I did not open it up though. I will do that next time I go take a look.
I ran it through just about every speed and it worked great. no weird noises or anything like that.

I would offer $2K and top out at $2.5K. Point out all the wear and tear, broken parts and the fact that there is no info about it on the internet. I'll bet you can get it for less than $2.5K.

RWO

I would offer $2K and top out at $2.5K. Point out all the wear and tear, broken parts and the fact that there is no info about it on the internet. I'll bet you can get it for less than $2.5K.

RWO

That was my thought as well. I also found a Takisawa TSL-800 semi locally for around 2500. Its got a 1 3/8" spindle and I think would be a better machine? What do you think?

That was my thought as well. I also found a Takisawa TSL-800 semi locally for around 2500. Its got a 1 3/8" spindle and I think would be a better machine? What do you think?
If you are still looking, the Takisawa is a great machine. Made in Japan, I believe, they are first-class. Worked briefly on one in a friend's shop. I fell in love with it!

Squire

Sent Using Tapatalk - Cherokee Nation of Oklahoma, Tahlequah OK

That looks exactly like a Turnmaster, which was a Taiwanese copy of a Colchester. There are lots of Turnmasters around, they were decent machines if not especially well finished, I don't know if there is a current source of parts.

Back