What's new
What's new

JPLongfellow's Remington 700 Receiver Blank Report

Doug W

Hot Rolled
Well sort of....

Not really set up to give a report about the tolerances, hardness testing or any of that.

Was shipped promptly.
OD has a very nice finish.

Bore and lugways were EDMed. I actually have never looked at any other makes of EDMed receivers to compare this one to.
The EDM produced a series of visible, uniform, full length, longitudinal lines at about 80-100 per inch.
So the inside surface isn't smooth like a reamer would produce, but somewhat serrated.

I have a PTG short bolt I bought from their "Specials" a few years back. It is 0.701 OD and just barely slides into the receiver.
A little polishing of the bore would produce a perfect fit.

Very happy, now to find the time to work on it.

Shop - J.P. Longfellow

I can't really add much to that but mine showed up today as well. Count me as another one who is very happy with the quality of work done on this blank.

-Ron

Wow.

I see on JPLongfellow's website that a guy completed his blank and is firing it, a few days after receiving it.

Definitely not a slacker. :)

Wow.

I see on JPLongfellow's website that a guy completed his blank and is firing it, a few days after receiving it.

Definitely not a slacker. :)

I hate guys like that! :ack2: ;)

I've got a "long" and a "short" sitting on my desk right now and they will probably sit there for some time. I have way too many projects ahead of them. :( On things like this you just never know what the availability will be in the future so I figured I better get them now.

Made sense to me anyway,

-Ron

I am very happy to have found JPLongfellow,is an aid to make my little dream I would like to see photos of complete rifles make with these blank actions my friends :cheers:

latest rig.jpg
I am very happy to have found JPLongfellow,is an aid to make my little dream I would like to see photos of complete rifles make with these blank actions my friends :cheers:

These 2 rifles were my latest builds, the closest one is a 308 Bartlein barrel Shilen trigger H S precision stock and PTG 1 piece bolt. The rifle will shoot well under 1/2" I have only shot it 40 times so far which was 8 5 shot groups using 2 different bullet weights and 4 different powders looking for the best match. The total agg for 8 groups was a few thousands over 5/8" shooting in fairly windy conditions. The rifle in the background is another of my 3 builds over the Xmas holidays which is a 260 Remington using a Shilen barrel. I have made 4 total and the 1st one has a 308 Rock Creek 5r barrel and this gun is also very accurate. My last build on the finished receiver will be a 284 Winchester once the bolt and barrel arrives in a few months.

View attachment 97374

These 2 rifles were my latest builds, the closest one is a 308 Bartlein barrel Shilen trigger H S precision stock and PTG 1 piece bolt. The rifle will shoot well under 1/2" I have only shot it 40 times so far which was 8 5 shot groups using 2 different bullet weights and 4 different powders looking for the best match. The total agg for 8 groups was a few thousands over 5/8" shooting in fairly windy conditions. The rifle in the background is another of my 3 builds over the Xmas holidays which is a 260 Remington using a Shilen barrel. I have made 4 total and the 1st one has a 308 Rock Creek 5r barrel and this gun is also very accurate. My last build on the finished receiver will be a 284 Winchester once the bolt and barrel arrives in a few months.

Hey we want to see the rifles, not the bundled up hairy model dudes. :)

Repeaters or single shots?
What was the toughest part of machining it?

sa1.jpgsa.jpgsa2.jpgsa3.jpgsa4.jpg

These are some photos when I was machining the receivers, 1 receiver was completed back in the summer and the other 3 were finished over the Xmas holidays. All 4 are currently single shot, but within a few months when bolts and a 7 mm barrel arrive 1 of the receivers will be a repeater in 284 Winchester caliber. This receiver is machined for a safety and the other 3 single shot have no safety. The photo of the aluminum contraption is a fixture for making 3 bolt releases at 1 time on a surface grinder. Calibers right now are 2 308's 1 260 Rem. and later a 284 Win. but I also have a 6mm br. barrel that will swap out with the same head spacing as the 260 and 308's. I can't say any machining operation is a challenge, but the trigger holes take extra care in locating them. All machining was done with carbide mills and the tenon threads were chased with high speed threading tool on machinery more 1/2 a century old.

sa5.jpgsa6.jpgsa7.jpg2 other photos of some machining operations, I found that drilling&tapping the 2 1/4-28 receiver mounting holes and making a rectangular fixture to mount the blanks onto saved a lot of time when doing different setups. The 1st receiver I completed back in the summer took about 20+ hours and alot of that time was getting dimensions off of a Rem. 40x receiver. The last 3 receivers took about 8 hours each.

They were less than 80%.
Just the bore and the lugways, but apparently they are all sold out, and probably no more to come.

I was just using 80% in terms of them considered a paperweight or not, to know if I would need to use an FFL in Cali, we need to register long guns now...:willy_nilly:

Too bad no more to come, but maybe he'll decide to make more of them.

He's got a new one in the works, but the older ones are better for my purposes as I want to stick them into Eliseo tubes. I took some measurements and got .70045-.70050 with a telescoping gauge. Consistency across multiple receivers was very good. I have not checked concentricity yet but will do so in the next week or so. If you are hard up for one I may have one lying around, most are spoken for.

Cool project. Has anyone looked into building the bolts or are ya just using stock ones? To me be best way to do a full custom job. Hopefully he will look into doing more, if not might have to branch out on my own!

I checked my 1st blank back in the summer when it arrived and it was .0025 tir and I just checked my last completed receiver which shows .004 tir Not too bad for the raceway being straight and concentric with the OD. One of the 3 I completed recently has a Bartlein 5r 1-11.25 30 cal barrel and yesterday I had another chance to shoot it again with 155 gr. smk's and the last 3 groups out of 8 were .567 .152 .454 with no cleaning since barrel was installed and now has 80 shots through it. As far as making your own bolt, it would be not worth my while to machined them, heat treat etc. Dave Kiff from PTG sells 1 piece completed bolts for around $230 each. During the shot show they had a special on them for $17 off and I ordered 3 with Sako extractors.

Dave Kiff from PTG sells 1 piece completed bolts for around $230 each. During the shot show they had a special on them for $17 off and I ordered 3 with Sako extractors.

Did you also use a .701 bolt? I'm considering getting a PTG bolt as I have not found a take off 700 bolt for a reasonable price.

Back