What's new
What's new

Just a heads up- a couple of sellers have the Uncle Mikes HP grips just now

Trboatworks

Diamond
I posted a while back that I was going to try my hand carving a set of Spegel like grips for my Hi Power.
Well as these things work out I have not done it....
But- as luck would have it a bunch of old Uncle Mikes cast rubber grips have shown up on market (these are clones of Spegels and are great grips..)

I picked up on the bay but Buds has them as well- a offer of $40 was automatic accepted on ebay and a good price for these.
I haven't gotten to the range but they suit the gun and for my hand improve the blocky old slab grips of the HP a great deal. Very grippy:

mikes.jpg

Have you gotten much into the spring set for the Hi Power Frank?

I picked up a Wolf standard 'Service Pack' #69061 and am finding out suddenly there are some gray areas on this spring issue..

OEM: "spring length 115 mm relaxed length, replace when length has reduced in service to no shorter than 105mm"

The Wolf 17lb recoil spring is 137 mm relaxed length with 35 coils instead of the 32 coils of what was in gun..
This gun I am working with is a Israeli buy back type II 1988 vintage and the spring in gun was 107mm so time for replace.

I am understanding there is something called a "tarred" or not spring which is a conditioning by cycling the spring.
This implies that the Wolf spring was delivered not 'tarred' so will be fine in service after a few cycles....

I just bought a case of German surplus MEN9b 124gr ammo which is apparently moderate power 1109 FPS at muzzle...

Too much fuss?
Just put the damn springs in the gun and shoot?

I don't want to batter the gun for no reason so want a good spring fit to ammo/platform..

Yeah- the Uncle Mikes got rare in used market so were expensive when you could find them.
Bud's found a stash somehow of old stock so there we have it.. I was happy to pay the 40 bucks for them.

I've used Wolff replacement springs and always followed their recommendation on factory standard weights. Wolff makes a good product.

A new recoil spring will shorten up some after a little use and remain that length for many rounds. For extra peace of mind you could check the free length whenever you clean it. I always try to err on the conservative side when replacing springs.

The bullet weight and velocity you give for your ammunition seems about the same as from most manufacturers. I'd just shoot the ammunition and not worry about it.

9mm Ballistics Chart | Ballistics 11

Back