What's new
What's new

Which Lathe??

gault1

Plastic
Hi, all

I am looking at purchasing a metal lathe for general gunsmithing work. I have been told that I need a long distance between centres to hold a max length barrel, why?
In my experience as a hobby machinist and gunsmith the only possible advantage of a long distance between centres would be for barrel contouring or tapering. Generally you can get the desired contoured blank from the barrel maker.

Therefore the main operations I would want to perform on the lathe would be muzzle crowning, receiver thread cutting and chambering. All of these tasks can be performed on a relatively short bed lathe so long as the spindle bore inside diameter is wide enough to support the heaviest target barrel that one would want to fit ( with fixture mounted on spindle at back of headstock).

This is my preferred set up for barrel work as I believe it offers more rigidity than using steady rests. The other big advantage is that short bed lathes are cheaper than heavier lond bed lathes. My question is, have I considered all the facts here or is there another reason for wanting to fit a barrel or barrelled action between centres.

Cheers Gault

Sounds like you have it. The only other thing would a barrel too large to fit through the spindle bore. Look for a short head length so you can chamber the short barrels too.

Nothing less than 24 in Centers

Reamers and holders suck up bed length fast.... need room for pulling reamer to clear chips, clean chamber and headspace gage and depth mike...
Spindle hole at least 1.5 in
Would be neat to have a Really short headstock/spindle for chambering..4 jaw on both ends...
Hmmm, clapped out old lathe with homebrew Headstock just for chambering....
Floating reamer holder of course..

Doing all the threading and other work you describe your far better off working through the headstock in my opinion, than between centers. I got by with a 10X24P for years before I wanted, and bought a 13x40, but I still work through the headstock...

While the Grizzly lathes look good, I cannot see the reason for a 16" lathe for gunsmithing.

A South Bend Heavy Ten or a 12" or 13" lathe with suitable through bore on the spindle and 24" betweeen centers is more than adequate for anything I can think of, and since so much of the work involved is smaller work such as screws and such, I would think a larger machine would not be of much use.

While the Grizzly lathes look good, I cannot see the reason for a 16" lathe for gunsmithing.

A South Bend Heavy Ten or a 12" or 13" lathe with suitable through bore on the spindle and 24" betweeen centers is more than adequate for anything I can think of, and since so much of the work involved is smaller work such as screws and such, I would think a larger machine would not be of much use.

I agree with you.

The jet for sale by Marc in the for sale section is killing me...$2500.00 for that jet is one hell of a deal. I wish I had a way of getting that from MN and a couple of more bucks in my pocket.

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/showthread.php?t=151273

The Grizzley is a 16"....but it is more of a 14" with a tall headstock I think...the cross slide travel is only slightly more than their 14" lathes. Maybe it ends up a 16" to get the larger spindle thru bore ?

16" x 40"
# Swing over bed 16"
# Swing over gap 22"
# Swing over cross slide 10"
# Distance between centers 40"
# Spindle nose D1-6 camlock
# Spindle nose taper MT#6
# Spindle bore 2"
# Tailstock barrel taper MT#4
# Tailstock barrel travel 4-3/4"
# Cross slide travel 8-1/2"
# Compound travel 5-1/2"

14" x 40"
1-1/2" spindle bore:
Swing: 14" over bed; 20" over gap; 8-1/2" over saddle
7" cross slide travel; 3-1/2" compound travel; MT#3 tailstock barrel taper; 4-5/8" tailstock barrel travel;

thanks

Thanks all

Grizzly machines look good, haven't seen them for sale in Aus. The machine I am looking at is the Chinese made HAFCO METALMASTER AL-300, 600mm
(23.6in) between centres with a 36mm (1.41in) spindle bore priced at about $2300 US.

The other machine I like that would definitely suit gunwork is the larger and more expensive Taiwanese made AL 960B. Both these machines can be viewed at the Hare and Forbes website at www.machineryhouse.com.au. The Taiwanese stuff is generally considered superior. Comments appreciated from anyone who's got time to check the specs on the website.

Cheers Gault

Thanks all

Grizzly machines look good, haven't seen them for sale in Aus. The machine I am looking at is the Chinese made HAFCO METALMASTER AL-300, 600mm
(23.6in) between centres with a 36mm (1.41in) spindle bore priced at about $2300 US.

The other machine I like that would definitely suit gunwork is the larger and more expensive Taiwanese made AL 960B. Both these machines can be viewed at the Hare and Forbes website at Machineryhouse - New & Used Wood, Metal & Workshop Equipment - Home | machineryhouse.com.au. The Taiwanese stuff is generally considered superior. Comments appreciated from anyone who's got time to check the specs on the website.

Cheers Gault

Please, let me know - who is a real Chinese manufacturer of HAFCO METALMASTER? Where can I find the factory in China that produces HAFCO lathes?

I bought a 16x40 lathe, the same make as the TW models that Grizzly sells as South Bend. My first Grizzly was a Chinese model that lasted for about twenty barrels before it needed new bearings, bugger, when I sold it it was in better condition than new. I am very pleased with it at far less coat than Grizzly charges for the South Bend. It is a Micro Cut by Buffalo Machine and you can probably buy one where you are, perhaps less cost because you are closer! A full blown industrial machine that with my use will last me forever. Don't be afraid of a long headstock as there are lots of ways to deal with it. If you have enough reinforce you can let the muzzle float in the headstock, I use a three jaw Bison set-tru 8". I bought a 12" four jaw and it has never been on the lathe. I did a short Win barrel today that my barrel extensions were too big for. I tapped the muzzle for a pipe fitting for my flush system that was long enough to get out where I could connect the plumbing. It's always worse the first time you have to do a setup.

Thanks all

The other machine I like that would definitely suit gunwork is the larger and more expensive Taiwanese made AL 960B. Both these machines can be viewed at the Hare and Forbes website at Machineryhouse - New & Used Wood, Metal & Workshop Equipment - Home | machineryhouse.com.au. The Taiwanese stuff is generally considered superior. Comments appreciated from anyone who's got time to check the specs on the website.

Cheers Gault

Hi there,

I have owned the AL320G and would definitely recommend against it, and other 600 centres machines. The bed length is too short for any flexibiltiy, and it didn't have a quick change gear box which made changing feeds , threads and speeds an absolute nightmare.

I bought a second hand hafco machine 900 between centres and it is ideal. Other factors that I consider essential are a quick change gear box, slow minimum speed (I like threading at 50 or 60 RPM) and make sure that the leadscrew is imperial, as most if not all the threading you will do will be imperial. Mine is not the 960B, but similar specs, and I think the 960B would be a great choice as would many of the similarly spec'd cheaper chinese versions.

I got mine for $1500 locally off ebay, inspected prior to purchase, and it does exactly what I need it to and hasn't skipped a beat.

Not sure by the posts if it is possible for you to get one. I have an 0509G Grizz, cuts like a champ. Chambered quite a few NRA record holders. All comes down to the loose nut behind the dials. Would recommend. Flame suit on :)

The machine I am looking at is the Chinese made HAFCO METALMASTER AL-300, 600mm (23.6in) between centres with a 36mm (1.41in) spindle bore priced at about $2300 US.

If you can swing it (either cost or space reasons notwithstanding), I would go with a longer machine. I use a Logan 23" between centers machine and there are times when I have the tailstock half hanging off the end of the bed or have to turn the work around to work on the other end. Fortunately, I also have a bigger machine for times I need the extra length but I would rather have bought the 35" model had I thought about it at the time.

I have a short version of something similar to the 960..
In that mine is 350 kg in mass, 1.5 kW, vs 280 kg/1kW for the 320 model.

My lathe is excellent in accuracy, and rigidity.
I have never had a problem with length (but I dont do guns).
(Fit and finish was poor. I dont much care about that, never thought about painting it).

My advice:
Pick a heavier model than the 320.
Ime 24" is enough, and the other advice from gun people seems solid.

I would much prefer a 10 years old heavyier one, than a new lathe of only 280 kg (in 12x24).
Anything and everythign else is easily and cheaply upgraded later.

Back