What's new
What's new

Lathe chuck sticking on threaded spindle.

CliveT

Plastic
Hi,

I have a 9 x 20 lathe with a threaded spindle. I sometimes have problems with a chuck sticking on the spindle and needing more force than I like to get it loose. I've heard of, and used, a paper washer on the spindle behind the chuck to help stop sticking. I'm now thinking of using a thin brass washer (32 thou) instead as this would be more durable as I find you need a new paper washer nearly every change. Does anyone have any thoughts, observations or suggestions on this?

Clive T

Hi,

I have a 9 x 20 lathe with a threaded spindle. I sometimes have problems with a chuck sticking on the spindle and needing more force than I like to get it loose. I've heard of, and used, a paper washer on the spindle behind the chuck to help stop sticking. I'm now thinking of using a thin brass washer (32 thou) instead as this would be more durable as I find you need a new paper washer nearly every change. Does anyone have any thoughts, observations or suggestions on this?

Clive T
i just use a adjustable crescent wrench of one vise jaw and have it in back gear at slowest speed and
use a dead blow hammer on wrench. usually works.
often when taking heavy cuts the pounding action of interrupted cuts is making the chuck tighter

Avoid using back gear as holding device as teeth will break.

You can place in lowest speed then place chick key in and smack it with large heavy rubber mallet.

If chuck has threaded hole for lifting eye then get one and use it instead.

Also make sure you seat it well first so it will not move as that may allow it to lock some.

Avoid using back gear as holding device as teeth will break.

You can place in lowest speed then place chick key in and smack it with large heavy rubber mallet.

If chuck has threaded hole for lifting eye then get one and use it instead.

Also make sure you seat it well first so it will not move as that may allow it to lock some.

You can use the backgear to break the chuck loose as long as you don't tell anybody. If you do you'll break a tooth. ;)

Back