What's new
What's new

leblond regal lathe

22h2

Aluminum
I need information for a leblond regal 13 parts available do they work well for gunsmithing and value. I can't find alot of information about them any websites dedicated to leblond

thanks

I had 5 older 13 Regals [round heads from 1941]. I cleaned, serviced, replaced parts and sold 4. The one left is gonna be one of my smithing lathes after I rebuild it. Parts are best available from Leblond, Inc [don't have their # immediately available]. IMO, the saddle has a wider bearing than most any import, Is manually pressure lubed [cross and longitudinal] from the apron sump, Has 0.0002 spindle runout with good bearings, and responds readily to leveling. On the minus side, the spindle hole is small [1.065] and the Max rpm is low [500] [however, the factory says you can up it to 750 by changing motor pulley] [they also recommend max hp to 1.5] As you can gather, I do like them. Good luck, John

Rifler 99s comments on the Leblond Regal series are accurate.

Leblonds are generaly regarded as well made machine. Probably a notch below Monarch and American Pacemaker, but better than most others of the same era.

The issues with old lathes are simple.
They were designed around high speed steel tooling. That means they were build for low speed, high torque cutting. They are simply inefficent with carbide tooling to be money makeres in modern job shops. They also tend to have small spindle holes. Larger 3 phase machines are usualy inexpensive because there is little demand for them.

If your looking for a gunsmithing lathe, what you want is enough distance between centers to turn barrel profiles.
A short enought head stock to pass a barrel through it and support both ends.
A large selection of thread feeds.
A steady rest is nice.
A taper attachment is nice, but not needed.

The bearings and gears need to be in good shape or your surface finishes will suffer.

As to parts, if the machine needs major mechanical parts, buy it for scrap iron or wait for a better deal to come along. Replacment of major parts is probably not cost effective, and indicates the machine may have been abused.

Try to find a well tooled machine with a modern tool post and tool holders, 3 & 4 jaw chucks, collet closers are a bonus, and a #2 or #3 Morse taper in the tail stock, with a live center, bull nose center, and drill chuck. Its easy to drop a grand tooling a machine up, but tooling usualy adds little value to used machines.

Parts for Leblond lathes are expensive, but are readily available from Leblond,Ltd. One gear on a Leblond can run in the neighborhood of $600. I replaced 4 gears on mine at a cost of around $2000.
The Leblond is a high quality lathe. Mine is a 15x54. I use a smaller 13x40 lathe more, but some jobs the Leblond works better.

Back