What's new
What's new

Bridgeport repair

Jim Kobe

Aluminum
My J-head locks up in back gear, high speed works fine, any ideas or someone in the Twin Cities area that will work on them?

Bill is on topic with the Hi-Low lever.Along with that are the pins #32 that slide in the slots of the cam ring.
If these two pins are not tight within the threaded holes of the bearing cartridge the assembly will not lift the the full extent required for disengagement of Hi range thus locking the the spindle.
The fix is usually a new pair of pins and worst case drill and tap two new holes in the bearing cartridge, with bearings removed.
Watch out for the two tiny set screws that bear on the threads of pin #32!
J-head  ~1.JPG
John

Thanks for that one, I have been running this mill for 20+ yrs and DO know how to get it into low range. The pins do need replacement, got a call in for new ones now.

thanks

Don't forget to take out the very small set screws that go in from the top of the pins. I never like the Bridgeport pins-guaranteed to be stripped. Whenever I have a problem with them, I just drill the holes deeper- go right into the threaded cap and tap it 5/16-18 or 5/16-24 and use hardened cap screws- I take ones that have a un-threaded portion and cut some of the threads off so that only the unthreaded portion rides on the incline of the dis-engage handle.

... use hardened cap screws- ...

I would give due consideration to the idea that one should accumulate the wear in the cheapest/most easily replaced parts, not the most expensive. Better to replace pins that are designed for easy replacement than replacing the cam ring.

If you end up re-drilling and tapping the holes, make sure to mill off a small flat on the OD so the pins bottom out nice and square. Helps make them more stable and last longer, I reckon.

A&D Machine Tool Rebuilding. Rick has rebuilt a couple lathes for me and always has several Bridgeports in his shop being rebuilt. He's in Roberts, WI. He loves those things. Tell him Brett sent ya!

Rick at A&D is a friend of mine and he will do a good job for you. Also Craig Laurich of Shop Services, he is up in Hibbing but works in the cities a lot. 218-929-3950. can fix it too. Where are you? If you need some help and want to do it yourself. I could probably stop by next week and give you a hand. PM Me,,,Rich

I just made a new pin (#32 in the exploded view above) several years ago,when my mill developed the same trouble. Used 01 drill rod. Never had a problem since. Such a simple part,no need to go spending money on it and waiting.

Last edited:
I appreciate all the tips, thanks. I did get it fixed and replaced the cam pins. By the way, they are hardened. the problem with the lock-up stemmed from the bolts holding the brake assy in place, a few of them hav backed out and were jamming the driven front pulley when moving the cam to get to low and disengage the spindle from the high to low range.

Hardening the pins may be o.k.,but they are still threaded into cast aluminum. Not the strongest design I can think of. I don't think I hardened mine due to the aluminum its threaded into. Happily,it has still worked for over 20 years. There sure isn't much clearance in the gears that depend on this little pin in order to function.

Back