What's new
What's new

Looking for a 10/22 clone that won't break the bank....................

david n

Diamond
I want to hand down my 'ol Ruger 10/22 to my boy. It's about 25yrs old and was made before Ruger cheapened the design of their 22s. The new ones seem too chintzy and poorly constructed. I hate seeing plastic and sloppy fit. I'd like to find a new plinker for myself, but I don't want to spend $500 on something like Magnum Research's 10/22. Any suggestions? I'd like to keep it around $300 or so........................TIA

A used AMT Lightning rifle.

Stainless steel.

Usually need a teardown, and a bit of polish, to as cast internals...

All stainless major parts, no plastic or aluminum in there...

I have had a few different 10/22s of various vintage and played with them a lot - developed some aftermarket products for it, too. For a plain off the shelf rifle, I liked the Marlin Model 60 very much more. I liked the tube mag over the box mags. Even with machinist-fingers, I found that reloading the 10/22 mags all day would leave my thumb skin a bit shredded. Loading a tube mag is still pretty quick and much easier on the fingers. Less expensive than having to replace magazines when the lips wear out or what not. The accuracy was better, imo, comparing factory barrel to factory barrel. It was just a more pleasant shooter overall. The action is a little more complicated but it's no big deal if you follow a youtube video or step-by-step guide. You really never -need- to disassemble it beyond a field stripping anyways. Cleaning and lubing is just as simple.

To be fair, it's gun SMITHING, not gun SHOPPING. ;)

I see............Let me rephrase my fist post.................

I want to hand down my 'ol Ruger 10/22 to my boy. It's about 25yrs old and was made before Ruger cheapened the design of their 22s. The new ones seem too chintzy and poorly constructed. I hate seeing plastic and sloppy fit. I'd like to find a new plinker for myself, but I don't want to spend $500 on something like Magnum Research's 10/22. Any suggestions? I'd like to keep it around $300 or so........................and once I buy said rifle, I'd like to know how to modify it for full out, thread the barrel for a suppressor, attach a grenade launcher, and attach a bayonet?.................:D There................a SMITHING question. ;)

Need it to look like this:

Tactical%2022_zpsfki5or4l.jpg

hehehe

Gunbroker prices for Lightning 25/22 are about double to triple the Blue book price..

A little pawn shop searching, should get a decent deal. There will be no finish or rust issues.

Where did you find a Magnum Research on GB for less than $500?

I assumed (a bad thing to do) from the OP (I don't want to spend $500 on something like Magnum Research's 10/22) that they were $500. Didn't look for them, only the AMT's.

Eh..................Couldn't be too off topic.................no real Sticky here for rules...............

Personally I'm surprised everyone let you slide when you basically said "I'ma gonna give my old gun to my son, tell him what an heirloom he's getting and then buy something new for myself!" :)

Anyway, I'm also of the mindset of going to some pawn shops and gunshows with your budget of $300 in cash and seeing what you can bargain down, going new in this day and age leaves quite a lot to be desired as you have already noted.

Back