What's new
What's new

Low velocity metal?

Monday

Plastic
Hello, i though abut doing a .22 CAP (flobert) gun for plinking, and i wounder what material the chamber and barrel has to be made of, to handle the pressure?

Would a ordinary thin tube of random steel be enough?

I have an original Flobert action. The metal in it appears to be quite soft. Also if you make a smoothbore barrel, in a handgun size, it could be an illegal weapon. Plenty of old .22 barrels floating around to make out of.

Not a gunsmith, why would a smooth bore barrel in handgun size be illegal?

Tom

Way back in 1968, Congress passed a law.

If it is smooth bore, it needs to be 26" overall length and have at least an 18" barrel.

If it has a shoulder stock and a rifled barrel, it needs to be 26" overall length and have at least a 16" barrel.

Handguns can't have a shoulder stock.

Way back in 1968, Congress passed a law.

If it is smooth bore, it needs to be 26" overall length and have at least an 18" barrel.

If it has a shoulder stock and a rifled barrel, it needs to be 26" overall length and have at least a 16" barrel.

Handguns can't have a shoulder stock.

But why? What was the issue with a smooth bore pistol? Like Tom, I'm not a gunsmith either.

because that is what the law is.
it doesn't have to make sense.

now if it's muzzle loaded with black powder, as far as the feds are concerned
it isn't a fire arm at all.

the thinking is smooth bore = shot gun,
there for smooth bore pistol would be a sawed off shot gun.
or it could be interpreted as a zip gun.

But why? What was the issue with a smooth bore pistol? Like Tom, I'm not a gunsmith either.

It's not a smithing issue. It's a regulatory issue, as is all of the GCA of 1968, to my knowledge. It's the government telling you what you can and can't do, not what is safe, reasonable, or prudent.

Exactly it doesn't have to make sense, we just have to put our heads down and obey, good puppy. Its Making some lots of cents, everyone in the law/justice system for just a few. All it takes for them to screw us all is a few cry babies, when did losing our rights ever make us safer?

Divide and conquer is how they do it. To bad the majority of Americans still don't get it. They couldn't pull all the shit they do if the entire country fought together instead of each other. Why do you think everything is the way it is, surely not our benefit.

I think this may be someone from :
1. A high school shop class
2. A prison

I would suggest a very handy material, automotive steel brake line.

Never made a zip gun out of a car antenna?
I thought this was entry level, oh-poop, not a great idea, very young kid stuff.
Yet I think it sort of works. (not that I would ever be stupid enough as a kid to ever try such a dangerous thing ...)
Bob

Back