What's new
What's new

machine a Mountain Gun barrel?

The S&W 357 Mountain Guns barrels are impossible to find so I was wondering if it's possible to machine one from a standard 686 barrel. The price of the one MG barrel on Gunbroker is unreal:

Smith&Wesson S&W Mod 686 4" MOUNTAIN GUN BARREL : Pistol Barrels at GunBroker.com
Holy crap! I'm not a revolver guy so I won't comment but I'm guessing you could as long as you timed it right. Looking forward to seeing what others with more experience have to say.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

It looks like it has a raised rib higher than a 686 barrel, might need to get your hands on both and compare.

I'm pretty sure the rib height is the same, the taper of the MG barrel is probably why it looks that way. MG barrels are lighter and I like the half-lug look too. Here's a standard 686 barrel to compare:
Smith&Wesson S&W Model 686 357 4" STAINLESS BARREL : Pistol Barrels at GunBroker.com

A better view of a MG barrel:
uV9bv95h.jpg

What exactly IS a "Mountain gun"? I have never heard the term.

Is it so powerful it can knock down a mountain? Does it take a mountain of cash to buy?:)Is it so heavy that it has to be packed on a mule like a mountain howitzer?

Should you only shoot it while up on a mountain so you can see VERY FAR where your bullet went if you miss that there Grizzly Barr?

Should you only shoot it after refreshing yourself with a Mountain Dew so that you are fully alert?

I'd still like to know what comprises a mountain gun.

What exactly IS a "Mountain gun"? I have never heard the term.

Is it so powerful it can knock down a mountain? Does it take a mountain of cash to buy?:)Is it so heavy that it has to be packed on a mule like a mountain howitzer?

Should you only shoot it while up on a mountain so you can see VERY FAR where your bullet went if you miss that there Grizzly Barr?

Should you only shoot it after refreshing yourself with a Mountain Dew so that you are fully alert?

I'd still like to know what comprises a mountain gun.

http://pics.gunbroker.com/GB/558508000/558508963/pix211233044.jpg It is a particular configuration of Model 629-4 that S&W named "Mountain Gun"

The "Mountain Gun" variant of the N-frames has a light barrel in 4" lengths. I have a 625 "Mountain Gun." It reduces the weight a little bit, but it's still a N-frame, so it ain't a svelte little CCW piece.

Looks like a good wrist breaker!:) I like the Ruger Super Black Hawk. Just rolls up in your hand as the cylinder is higher up from the wrist line.

What exactly IS a "Mountain gun"?
I thought we were talking about making a barrel for a short, light piece of wheeled artillery.

I did too, in fact there were a few in the western indian wars, Krupp breech loaders, so very cool the idea of actually owning is very appealing. Pre 1898 so not on the dangerous devices list IIRC.

Back