What's new
What's new

Machining a chassis

ukraina_lviv

Plastic
Hey guys,
I'm an engineering student in college and on a college kids budget, but fortunately have lots of "free" time, so I'd like to try my hand at machining a chassis for my Remington Long action rifle. I'd like to try my hand at the Remington RACS lightweight chassis, but I need the specs for it if anyone has them that'd be great.
Thanks guys,

Well your first step would be to find out WTF a "chassis" is doing on a firearm. With this level of knowledge, give it up.

Chassis have been used on firearms since the late 1970's and are used on some of the most accurate rifles in the world as well as all of the bolt action rifles currently in service with the US military and NATO allies except France who are still using the FR F2 sniper rifle which is getting replaced with the PGM mini Hecate a rifle that uses a chassis.

Remington Defense RACS Chassis - EuroOptic.com

tdmidget, the above is what he is referring to. At some secret ratio of metal to wood/graphite/foam/fiberglass a stock becomes a chassis

ukrania lviv

"need the specs for it" Are you kidding?

I found the below in a few minutes

•Material: T7075 Aluminum
•Overall Length: 36.4″ to 39.2″
•Overall Length Folded: 28.25″
•Weight: 6.1 lbs.
•LOP Adjustment: 2.0″ (More with Optional Recoil Pad Spacers)
•Comb Adjustment: 1.5″

You already have an action.
Time to start measuring that action, and then do your homework.

It is a worthwhile project if you take the concept and then design your own. This should involve considering all the alternative design choices, understanding the design choices you made, why you made them, and be able to explain the choices to someone who knows nothing about the firearms or engineering.

If all you want to do is copy what someone else did you ought to rethink that engineering major.

If all you want to do is copy what someone else did you ought to rethink that engineering major.

Write that on the wall. In Ukrainian. Copying what someone else did is NOT what any of the folks from Ukraine I have ever known were about. (Pittsburgh, PA, West Virginia U, US Army and Corp of Engineers, mostly).

Putin's Military expansion is in a technical hurt-locker because he forgot that part - how dependent on Ukraine he was for shipbuilding, turbines, Diesels, rocket motors, and a lot more.

And we are all the better for that.

Stay creative. Remain self-sufficient. Personally OR nationally.

My Bad. I can't keep up with the tacticool crowd. Maybe I should. 3 large for an ugly ass stock. Maybe if I ever retire 1 or so a month would be a decent pension. As long as the suckers hold out and there seems to be no shortage.

I'd look at an Elisio chassis , it's what most long range shooters use in a chassis system.

Maybe in high power or something like that.

Most shooters using chassis these days are running Manners mini chassis, Master Piece Arms is probably the most prominent and well throughout at the moment, Accuracy International, Kinetic Research Group Whiskey 3, XLR and DTA.

While it may be a tall order to try to redesign the RACS, I would look at something like this: Precision Rifle Chassis & Stocks: What The Pros Use - PrecisionRifleBlog.com

and start thinking what could I do to make some of those better? Put it on paper or CAD and get to work.

Do more research on existing chassis, try something new, see what does and does not work. You got time, right? Materials should not cost more than ramen. Which school? Also obligatory, Слава Україні!

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

I don't consider belly benchrest real shooters, lol. Prone, Palma, XTC, Service Rifle, FTW!!!!!
Gary's is the only one I have experience with. I have one of his, and am building one for a model 7 simply because he refused too and I have two actions.

Maybe in high power or something like that.

Most shooters using chassis these days are running Manners mini chassis, Master Piece Arms is probably the most prominent and well throughout at the moment, Accuracy International, Kinetic Research Group Whiskey 3, XLR and DTA.

While it may be a tall order to try to redesign the RACS, I would look at something like this: Precision Rifle Chassis & Stocks: What The Pros Use - PrecisionRifleBlog.com

and start thinking what could I do to make some of those better? Put it on paper or CAD and get to work.

I don't consider belly benchrest real shooters, lol. Prone, Palma, XTC, Service Rifle, FTW!!!!!
Gary's is the only one I have experience with. I have one of his, and am building one for a model 7 simply because he refused too and I have two actions.

Almost every chassis I listed is used in PRS, which the my knowledge is probably the most diverse bolt rifle shooting competitions. It has some prone, a lot of positional shooting off of rooftop and many other structures. The Masterpiece Arms chassis is at the top of the list right now. The attachments and designs that have been implemented are very well thought out. The Elisio chassis (tube gun) is pretty neat, but it's designed for high power and Palma type shooting. It can work well for other displines. Like with most things its depends on the user and how well they can learn to implement the chsssis. I personally run a J Allen Enterprise chassis and absolutely love it. It's the most comfortable stock on the market (for me).

I would first pick how you would like to use the rifle or how you think your customer base would use it best and then see what is available currently and ask potentional customers what they like and dislike about their current chassis. At that point I would start designing your chassis using the features you've decided work for the intended purpose.

Back