What's new
What's new

Machining dies???

robbor

Aluminum
I decided i wanted to try and make a set of form dies to make 22-250 brass that has thicker necks becuase my chamber seems to have about .010 slop over the dimension of a loaded round. Figuring id have to neck turn anyway and still have thicker necks i thought about just starting and sizing down all the way from 308 win brass. So what im thinking of doing is getting an extra set fo 22-250 dies and possible 250 savage dies. I already have 300 savage dies. I was thinking of opening up the necks of a neck die and a seater die to use as forming dies. Any recomendation on doing this? Im not sure how hard dies are, so i was thinking of either trying to use a carbide reamer from evilbay on them or temper them in the oven at about 400f for an hour. I probably have an adjustable hand reamer, and maybe a few other reamers in my stuff. I dont have any boring equip for lathe.

I appreciate any input.

RCBS dies are as hard as a rock, I just got finished turnind down a seater die for a Star reloader. Carbide is the only way to go.
Grade 8 7/8-14 bolts should be plenty hard enough for your project.

A carbide reamer would not give you the finish required even if you could find the exact size you need. It would have to be honed or lapped to size. Either method will open the die .010 but honing is a lot less work. Drawing down a die so you can machine it would just give you a soft die that you would have to reharden for it to work properly.
Bob

I understand your reasoning for wanting thicker neck walls, but you are chasing a problem with an idea that will create another. Thick walls have their own inherant limitations.
All the time and money you are about to spend would, IMHO be better served if you just set back the chamber with a proper reamer. -- Problem solved, and correctly.

Thry're cheaper ways to accomplish your goal. If you do a lot of wildcats my case forming dies will help you.
DSC02170.jpg

DSC02167.jpg

If you only want to fool with the 22-250, just buy a tight neck reamer and use factory brass.
Butch
www.shadetreeea.com

You cant make a silk purse from a sows ear. Do some research, and get a reamer, barrel and s-type die set. What your planning is a waste of time and money.

I second the forming die set from Butch, you'll be surprised at the stuff you come up with that needs necking down :) I just used my set yesterday on a wildcat I'm working on, they make the job sooooo easy. The time you save jack-leggin' around trying to modify a factory die will be worth the money you spend on Butchs' dies.

just replace the barrel.

0.010 oversize is not something to address with thick brass, when you neck it down, it's not always consistent.

a replacement barrel can be as cheap as $100.

custom dies will cost close to that.

Replacing the barrel is an option but if you add the cost of a custom chamber reamer you'll be way above the cost of dies and the custom reamer is the only way you'll get the neck od you want.

Back