What's new
What's new

K frame barrel interchagability?

armen

Aluminum
Is it possible to install a 6" barrel from a Model 14 onto a Model 15 which originally came with a 4" barrel? any other parts need be changed?
thanks,
-Armen

armen

I have done exactly what you propose to do. The only places you will run into difficulty is if the barrel tenons and shoulders are different length. No way of knowing until you try. If the M14 tenon is too short you can set it back one full thread but then you introduce all kinds of problems with the ejector rod latch, etc. If it's too long but indexes ok you can turn off the excess in a lathe and adjust the forcing cone as needed. It's been my experience that if the two barrels date from the same time period they will work OK. I have done similar conversions with the bigger calibers (44 & 45) and if you're handy with tools (a lathe helps) and know what you're doing you can make up some very interesting revolvers. My son still has one that is 45 Colt caliber made from a M27 frame, a M29 cylinder (re-chambered) and a M25 barrel. Of course that was made back in the days before you could buy one of the big 45 caliber factory models and S&W would sell you the parts.

Ray

Back