What's new
What's new

11.15x58R Werndl (aka .43 Werndl) cartridge/chamber drawing?

PCali

Aluminum
I've picked up a 1867 Werndl rifle chambered for 11.15x58R Werndl (which is also known as .43 Werndl, and possibly also as 11mm Mannlicher).

I know where I can BUY brass and dies, at a pretty penny, but I'm just dumb enough to want to form brass ( from .50-110 Win looks promising) and make a set of dies.

My stopping point is I would really like to find a cartridge or chamber drawing of it first!
I will be making a chamber cast, but it would still be nice to have the "factory" specs.

Cartridges of the world has no dimensions, Nonte's forming cartridges book doesn't mention it (at least not the edition I have), and Designing and Forming Custom Cartridges by Howell doesn't have it either.

Would appreciate any leads!
Paul F.

I really suggest a chamber cast, the old time gunmakers were not very consistant. It is quick
and you will know exactly what you are dealing with.
11.5 58 Werndl is listed in the 2nd edition of Donnelly's book ISBN 0-88317-239-9 and has dimensions, But I would still Make a Chamber Cast.......

I'll definitely be making a chamber cast this weekend...as I said..
But I'd STILL feel better having a print ALSO...

Even if those old time Austrian gunmakers weren't too good at hitting their numbers, I want to know what number they were supposed to be aiming for :)

Donnelly's book is on my short list of books to pick up... I just moved it to the top of the list.

Paul F.

(now if I can just find my cerrosafe... )

Paul

I have one cartridge in my collection. I measured it and all dimensions agree with those given in COTW at the end of the chapter on "Military Rifle Cartridges". However, it wouldn't surprise me if Frank Barnes got his dimensions by also measuring a cartridge. I agree with abar, the dimensions of your chamber could vary quite a bit from a standard, if there is/was such a thing. You might post the question here

http://www.cartridgecollectors.org/f/forum.php

You might even find someone who has some cartridges for sale or maybe even a patent drawing.

Good Luck

Ray

Thanks for the forum link!

As it happens, a local shooter just sold me 10 rounds of original black powder rounds, headstamped 1887.

So the only part that's going to be difficult to measure is the shoulder angle. Not impossible... just gonna take a good eye and a couple tries.

I've got a copy of Donnelly's book ordered through ABEbooks.com, AND I found my cerrosafe... so I can make that cast this weekend.

But still... if anyone DOES have a chamber/cartridge print, I'd appreciate it!

Paul F.

Back