What's new
What's new

Bolt Stop/Release

The bolt releases on most custom actions are quite simple, being a rocker type. It would not be difficult to make one, but the side of the receiver would have to be milled for it. Some use a screw to act as the retainer/pivot, some use a roll pin.

Years ago, there were several type of plunger bolt stop/releases used.

Though I don't own one at the present time, I have had a couple with Anschutz bolt release. You could adapt most any rocker type. Sinclairs offers the springloaded button type.
Butch

I felt it looked simple enough but I can't see how they are spring loading in such a small space. Any thoughts on that? It is easy enough to mill the opening and make a pivoting button but what keeps the pressure pushing out? I originally thought they did not mill entirely through the receiver on the "push" side of the button and put a small but strong spring in there. The pictures show the entire slot opened up so my idea wouldn't work for that setup. Are they possibly setting a spring into the end at an angle? Wish I had an actual drawing of the part.

I bought a number of them from AMT just before they went belly-up. I simply copied the dimensions and cuts found on an AMT receiver. The underside of the rocker has a blind hole drilled in it which allows a longer spring to be used than if you were trying to get it in the small space between rocker and surface of the receiver.
You have to take care and get all of he cuts just right, not a big deal but you better stay focused. A socket head screw with the head hidden on the bottom would be neat, no visible pivot pin like the ones that I installed. I think that some of the customs (BAT?) do it this way.
I really hate the spring loaded pin models like sold by Sinclair and Hart but they are quick and dirty to install.

Butch,

The rocker bolt stop requires a slot cut through the side of the extractor, as we know. But the slot is not very long, just enough to allow the bump on the stop to enter the raceway for the lug to contact. The area to the rear of the slot has a pocket milled, kind of a continuation of the through slot but not clear through. The spring pushes against the bottom of that slot and the other end is in a blind hole drilled into the underside of the bolt stop. The area in front of the through slot is also a pocket, not through the side. It is what controls the amount that the stop boss protrudes into the receiver. Push on rear of stop, compress spring, "bump" comes out of receiver and bolt can be removed.
Checkering would look neat on the bolt stop but I haven't bothered to do one.
You are not stupid. Maybe the above explanation is clearer but maybe not.
I have one of the small Anschutz rocker stops but have not installed it in a receiver, just bought it from Gunparts to see what it looked like.

Back