Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Making minature cannons.

Joe Scope is offline Plastic

Ibrich,
    I'll post the pictures here tomorrow and hopefully I can answer your questions.

Joe

Joe Scope is offline Plastic

Ibrich,

I sent you an email.

Joe

ibrich is offline Plastic

Joe, I haven't gotten the e-mail as of yet.
    ibrich
    brichards@sc.rr.com

buffdog is offline Plastic

Default Cannon Plans

Home Shop Machinist
    A four issue article by William F. Greene, on building a firing model Napoleon field gun.
    July/August 1985, September/October 1985, November/December 1985, and January/February, 1986 issues.

Get a copy of "Round Shot and Rammers", a large book of muzzle loading artillery with lots of information and drawings. Out of print, but appears on E-Bay regularly.

See if you can find some William F. Greene plans. They are very detailed, and he also made plans for a firing model Parrot 3" rifle.

Older Mechanics Illustrated magazines sometimes had model artillery plans, and Popular Mechanics had a 24 pounder naval cannon model in about 1976 (for the Centennial).

TheDoubleD is offline Aluminum

I have made a link list of internet cannons sites at Cannon Link list

Here is the section on cannon plans.

Cannon plans

The last listing has plans very much like William Green Plans.

The First listing, AOP has copies of full scale original drawings of Civil War cannons. The drawing portfolios the sell are worth what they ask.

delloro is offline Cast Iron

I have yet to find satisfactory plans for a beverage-can mortar.

What's wrong with the Delta Press plans?

Here's my can shooter! Made from AOP plans.

Granted I didn't make it. But I could have. So can you. Plans are available for scaling from AOP and Jerry Clement.

Here's another view.

precision tools is online now Hot Rolled

Quote Originally Posted by TheDoubleD View Post
    I have made a link list of internet cannons sites at Cannon Link list

Here is the section on cannon plans.

Cannon plans

The last listing has plans very much like William Green Plans.

The First listing, AOP has copies of full scale original drawings of Civil War cannons. The drawing portfolios the sell are worth what they ask.
    That is a very good list of available plans, thanks for posting it here.

It is rather obvious that the last listing of plans are the William Greene plans. The photos of the Widow Blakely clearly show the Greene plans in the background.

William Greene passed away several years ago, and I do not know if his plans have been passed along to anyone, but I would hope that anyone who is selling his plans today at least credits him for them. If he is presenting them as his own, that is pretty shabby in my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by precision tools View Post
    That is a very good list of available plans, thanks for posting it here.

It is rather obvious that the last listing of plans are the William Greene plans. The photos of the Widow Blakely clearly show the Greene plans in the background.

William Greene passed away several years ago, and I do not know if his plans have been passed along to anyone, but I would hope that anyone who is selling his plans today at least credits him for them. If he is presenting them as his own, that is pretty shabby in my mind.
    Some where it was posted that he purchased the rights to them.

Double D, I am looking for plans using a 5" diameter or so piece of 4130 that I can turn on my lathe. what are the delta press dimensions?

Thanks.

Joe D Grinder is offline Titanium

Here is my napoleon with mesquite carriage. Bored for golf balls. A golf ball will pass through a refrigerator and keep right on sailing out of sight. What a hoot! The tube is from C/R bored to size and the furniture is all hand forged from horseshoes and stuff. It is all patina'd bronze color by heating.....Joe

www.thingswestern.com

Quote Originally Posted by delloro View Post
    Double D, I am looking for plans using a 5" diameter or so piece of 4130 that I can turn on my lathe. what are the delta press dimensions?

Thanks.
    Here's what the Delta plans look like.

They call for a 6 inch piece,

You could do a Coehorn pattern pop can bore with 5 inch. Just make the powder chamber no larger than 1 2/3 inches.

This thread has a bunch links for plans. http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/index.p...c,89682.0.html

The one for the 12 PDR Coehorn is very nice looking and could easily scaled down to fiv einch and popcan.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDoubleD View Post
    ...no larger than 1 2/3 inches....
    how do you calculate that?

Quote Originally Posted by delloro View Post
    how do you calculate that?
    It comes from the guidlines for cannon construction found in N-SSA National Rules for Cannons

The walls thickness over the chamber should be the same as the diameter of the chamber or thicker. Figure it like this wall + Chamber + Wall =Diameter.

5 inch diameter = 1 2/3 inch wall + 1 2/3 inch Chamber + 1 2/3 inch wall.

new2a4 is offline Aluminum

Default plans

for some really great pics and plans for the civil war ''mountain howitzer'' barrel and carriage just google buckstix there is a complete tutorial on how to build new2a4

gwilson is offline Diamond

No law against MUZZLE loading cannons. Breech loaders over 60 cal.(I think that's the maximum caliber) are considered destructive weapons.

The law allows replicas of pre 1899 artillery including breech loaders and defines them as antiques. GCA 68 controls guns under .50 and NFA control guns over .50

There is is a restriction on breech loaders over .50 cal if their ammo is still available. Check NFA for the specific wording on that.

Bruce Nelson is offline Stainless
    Wisconsin (from May to November); Florida (from November to May)

I was in Florida, walking through a boat dealers showroom, and I saw a cannon called a Winchester Signal Cannon. This cannon shot 10 gage black powder shells. It had a unique breach mechanism, and was loaded from the rear and fired by pulling a lanyard which released the fireing mechanism that was powered by a unique spring.

An outfit called Cannon Mania has these guns for sale. They cost in the neighborhood of $600. A year ago, I built one from materials that I had, and they had the breach mechanism, hammer, and spring that I could buy. I did not build it for 10 gage shells. I chose 12 gage shells, as they are cheap and easy to get along with black powder from Cabelas. It is louder than hell, and I am really pleased with it.

I was going to build another this summer, but the breach parts are no longer available for sale. I could reverse engineer them myself, but that project is on a distant back burner. If you google Cannon Mania, or Winchester Signal Cannon, you can learn about these Signal Guns. To my taste, they are the finest design available.

Lord Byron
    seiner likes this.

gwilson is offline Diamond

Just don't try shooting shot loaded shells with the Winchester cannon. It has a very weak breech,designed only for blanks. I have heard that some people have used these cannon with shot shells,but they may burst the cannon.

Bruce Nelson is offline Stainless
    Wisconsin (from May to November); Florida (from November to May)

I doubt if the guy is interested anymore, his last post on the subject was January 2010. People lose their enthusiasm for projects like this if it requires research. They want to be handed plans on a silver platter. I, for one, am reluctant to release any drawings that I may have, as it may put me in a possibility of litigation. It goes without saying that you should not fire a shot shell load in a signal gun. This is a federal violation, and they should treat you badly for it. You should not fire any projectile from a signal gun. A heavy load of black powder alone gives you a very satisfying report, a lot of attention from the neighbors, and a lot of smoke. I really enjoy mine.

Lord Byron

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast