What's new
What's new

Marlin no. 29 pump .22 rifle

goldiver

Aluminum
Rifle had been in open storage, in a paper drum along with single shot .410, old,golf clubs, garden tools, etc.....Dirty, with light rust, but was complete......wound up using a wire wheel to remove the rust, lubed every thing up cleaned the barrel with hoppe's # 9.....Barrel looks very good and there's no noticeable pitting on outside surfaces.....Need to head over to the range for a fire test.....

I searched several sites for any info, but got no hits.....Calibers 22 S, L, & LR are stamped on the barrel, along with patent dates of Apr 2, 1889 Aug. 12, 1890 Mar 1, 1892 and Nov. 29, 1904.....Numrich has a parts breakdown that's useful.....http://www.e-gunparts.com/productschem.asp?chrMasterModel=082Zz29

If anyone has any comments, suggestions or history about the gun I would appreciate hearing from you.....

Thanks, Jim

websterz;

Round barrel, ~.650" at the muzzle and .700 near the chamber.....I guess I need to post a pic, but I'm kind of pic challenged, so It may take a bit.....

Thanks, Jim

Marlin M29

Hi Jim, I have a book called Marlin Firearms A History of the Guns and the Company that made them. Written by LT. Col. William S. Brophy, USAR, Ret. It has a short section on the 29. It says that the model 29 is very similar to the model 20. The only difference is that the 29 has a round barrel and a smooth fore end. The book also tells how to take down the rifle. I hope this helps. Dave Vincent

Hi Jim, I have a marlin model 27s in 25-20 that rifle has no serial number on it that I can find. So I would be surprised if yours had one. The book does not list years by serial number. If yours has a serial number where is it located? Thanks Dave

marlin serial #

Dave;

On mine the # is stamped both on the side of the upper receiver tang, and into the slot in the stock for the upper tang.....One bolt holds the two together.....Can't imagine why Marlin thought they needed to hide the ser. #.....Mines a 4-digit, 38XX, probably not seen since the gun was made, who knows how long ago.....The action is fairly smooth after the minimal cleaning and lube I did.....Can't wait to shoot it.....

Jim

P.S. Takedown is quite simple using the through-bolt in the receiver.....Good old U.S. ingenuity and workmanship.....

Last edited:
Hello Jim

Art from NB Canada here. I have a Model 29 as well. It had been my fathers who got it from a neighbor hood friend years ago. When he gave it to me back in the late 70's I wrote the Marlin Company to see if I could get some info. They sent me a short letter with some info and a copy of the catalogue page from 1915 which features this fine old gun.
I offer the following for your information;

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dated January 26th 1981

Dear Marlin Owner

The Marlin Model 29 slide action, caliber .22 rifle, was manufactured from 1913 to 1916, and in 1913 sold for $8.50. It held 15 short, 12 long and 11 long rifle cartridges. It had a half magazine, and the barrel was round and 23 inches long. The butt and forend were walnut with serrations and checkering. Included in the outstanding features of this little gun were the Marlin slide top and side ejection. Many thousands were made and, today, those in excellent condition are becoming collector’s items.

We regret having to advise that no parts are available, and no work can be done here at the factory on this fine old Marlin. We do not give estimates of value, as we are not informed about the current old gun market.

Enclosed are copies of pages from a Marlin 1915 catalogue which we feel will be of interest to you.

Yours very truly,
William S. Brophy
Senior Technical Manager
The Marlin Firearms Co.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I can if you like scan the catalogue page for you and send it via e-mail.

I have recently come across a little more information due to the fact that I am in need of a firing pin for mine. It turns out that the parts for a Model 20 are interchangeable with the 29. Parts are available but take a little searching. I have not yet gotten the firing pin yet, but I am hopeful.

Regards

Art

Back