What's new
What's new

Martini actions

JackMcCarthy

Plastic
Does anyone know of a source for martini actions or martini based greener shotguns? Also has does anyone have experiece rebarelling them. Caliber limitations etc. I plan on building one in a .444 marlin, 45/70 or mabey something bigger for the fun of it.

the martinis imported in the 60's were plumb wore out & needed complete rebuilding.....a good trigger was a problem & scopr mt. had to be so high to give cartridge clearance , that it precluded decent stock fit ...i unloaded the pair i bought soon as i could ......the little rook rifle martinis were in better shape & made up into nice lite hornets & bees ....same probs w/ trigger /scope .....shud be better stuff out there to play with

best wishes
docn8as

I'd say doc is probably right, but if you are determined, I was told a couple of months ago that Sarco had a lot that had been converted to single shot 14 ga. guns and did not require a FFL to purchase through the mail. Mike

FRANK DE HAAS(past away) HAS A NUMBER OF VERY GOOD BOOKS ON THE SUBJECT. THE BOOKS ,I THINK ARE OUT OF PRINT, BUT WELL WORTH THE SEARCH. AS FOR THE CALIBERS YOU CAN USE IN THEM, IT DEPENDS ON THE MODEL MARTINI. SOME RECEIVERS WERE STRONGER THAN OTHERS.
MACHINING A BARREL FOR A MARTINI IS NOT THAT BAD,DOVETAILS FOR THE HANDGUARD AND SIGHTS. THE ONLY TRICKY THING IS MACHINING THE EXTRACTOR AND EXTRACTOR "SLOT" INTO THE BREECH FACE. IT'S NOT REALLY A SLOT. I WOULD RECOMMEND FINISH MACHINING THE EXTRACTOR WITH THE CHAMBERING REAMER
HOPE THIS HELPS

Home Gunsmithing Digest (1970) has a great article on making a Martini rifle in .444 marlin. He used a BSA action, numrich arms barrel and fajen wood. The rifle came out very nice. Load data also listed in the article. I can send you a copy of the article if you like.
Larry

My buddy took one of the Indian shotguns with a 2 or 3 prong firing pin (I don't remember which) into a 45-70. It took a lot of work to get a working rifle. An extraction system, bushing the firing pin hole and designing a new firing pin, were the greatest trouble. I am not sure you want to convert one of the shotguns after watching him go through the trouble. Depends if it is a challange to get it done or a profit motivated job.

At one time I think Navy arms had these actions but I don't even know if they are still in business.

Thanks for all the info. I have found a few sources for the 14ga and a few actions have come up on gunbroker.com. I have been told by others that the shotgun conversion can be a pain. I havn't seen one but I hear the firing pin setup is offset. Does any one know if I could replace it with a standard martini action parts? I have found a source in Canada for parts but no complete actions. Also any recomendations on manufacturer?

Back