What's new
What's new

Martini Cadet

sjensen30

Aluminum
This isn't really a "smithing" question, but maybe someone on the board knows the answer to this. I'd like to purchase a Cadet action from Australia but I don't know what's involved in having it shipped to the States. How do I go about finding someone that can import this for me? Or, can this even be done? I'm not familiar with the procedures if there are any and I'd really like to get one aas they are still pretty cheap over there. Any help on this is greatly appreciated! Steve

jensen GOOD LUCK> a lot of dealers do not want to deal with the state department. I called a lot of dealers to get a A5 browning 12 ga shipped from canada. No dice. FFL's do not like the state department.

Best choice is find one already in the US

BAFTE form 6 to import. If it is pre-1898, they can mail it to your home. Otherwise, it must go FFL. The form 6 can be down loaded from the Marstar Canada site, and mailed in. It will take 6-8 weeks to get it back. There is no cost. You may bring in multiple items with each 6, but they must be in one package. Mike

Thanks guys! I'll have to find out how old it is. If it's pre-1898 I just might go ahead and try to have it sent to me. I really appreciate the input! Steve

Whether or not it is pre-1898, you need to do the form 6. It is a big no-no to import firearms, war materials etc, without doing the paper work. The form will finally come back stating that no permit is needed, but the form 6 is mandatory. Mike

think long & hard abt lack of clearance for extraction ,making a HIGH scope mounting a necessity (no cheek support vs HIGH comb)also trigger requires some careful work for a decent release , & most pins will need replacing to tighten things up ( still tempting for a mashburn bee or a k hornet, or a 222rimmed..)

best wishes
docn8as

Thanks Mike. I didn't mean to imply that I was going to try to circumvent the Form 6 process. I wasn't very clear in my reply. I've read the horror stories about people who've rubbed the BATF the wrong way and had their lives ruined. It's not a group to trifle with. The Cadet actions are not classed as antique, so I'll have to get one through a FFL licensee. I've found a source here in the states, but their actions are rimfire. I'd really like to build one in .218Bee. I just want something to have some fun with at the range and still be able to tinker with handloads.
And Doc, I just love those Cadets. They've got some drawbacks, but I can work around them.
Steve

steve ....around 1950 ,they were advertised at 9.99.....shud have wharehoused them ....they were pretty nice , ..the large actions were abt. as worn out as any i have ever seen .....wud recommend mashburn bee /or similar improved ......still have abt 100 rounds of .222 rimmed brass intsnded for a small martini or high wall....contrary to the pundits , i saw a 218 mashburn bee stamped mashburn arms ,st. louis on a LOWALL in a hock shop in louisville around 1950....never put more than a k hornet on one myself , but if it will hold a bee, shud hold a .222rimmed if pressures kept around 45 k...( smaller head & thrust than bee)
small martini really looks good with an old unertle 10x target scope on top.....if price is right , maybe import a dozen or so?????

best wishes
docn8as

Thanks Doc! The dealer in Australia has them listed at AU$250.00 on his website but I got an e-mail yesterday telling me that he has none in stock. I think that price works out to around US$175.00. But, I agree, the Cadet with a Unertl target scope mounted is a nice looking piece. Someday......

Steve

Steve,

Check out thadscott.com. I think he's even sort of in your part of the country. He often has Cadets on his website. No actions, though. (Don't get distracted by the stunning double rifles while you're there. Yike!)

You do know about the Martini-Henry Forum, don't you?
http://p223.ezboard.com/fbritishmilitariaforumsfrm1 It's a "must' if you're into Martinis.

Until recently you could apparently pick up a Cadet in Oz for relatively little, but that's all gone by the boards now. I managed to get one here in Canada but it cost me $450 Cdn. Mind you, it is in superb condition.

I plan to rechamber it to .218 Bee or maybe 25-35 but I'm hoping to get another barrel for it and keep the original as it is in excellent shape.

Good luck. They're neat little rifles. I think you'll be amazed at the workmanship. The little Francotte all-in-one removable action is wonderful.

smile.gif

Steve,

I must have been geographically challenged that day. Thad Scott is in MS, not MN! Not at all "in yout part of the country."

BTW. who is the US source for the Martini rimfires you mentioned?

wink.gif

Back